Upgrading video card, which one?

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by Ord_Sgt, Apr 24, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

I currently have a Geforce 7950 GT and am thinking of a new card. What is good value for money but still with a decent bit of speed these days?

The rest of the setup is 3800+ 64x2 dual core at 2.01Ghz with 2 GB of ram.

Any help appreciated.
  2. I'm in the market to upgrade myself, I've been looking at a Geforce 8800GTX but I'm waiting for the prices to come down.
  3. YesItsMe

YesItsMe LE Good Egg (charities)

according to my son ...
    brilliant choice :D

but no matter what you do - make sure it's nvidia :lol:
  4. So I've heard. Don't suppose your son also knows of any good deals on it? I can't find anything less than £160.
  5. I would have thought anything that's decent value for money in your case wouldn't be worth upgrading to, as your card doesn't seem too bad. This all depends on your budget of course.
  6. YesItsMe

YesItsMe LE Good Egg (charities)

seems to be cheaper here indeed ... but 'here' means germany :oops:
  7. Get 2 in SLI!!! :twisted:
  8. I got a 8800 GT second hand for 60 quid, Just make sure your PSU has plenty of power. Good card!
  9. I went thru this just recently. First I bought an ATI x1750 and it crapped out after a while. Then got another ATI and it had problems took it back. Something with ATI's drivers I'm assuming.

Anyway, long story short. Bought a 8800 GT and it works like a charm and runs like a beast.

Just as Cpl_Ripper mentioned however, make sure you have a good power supply if you decide to get one. I went to a 650 watt with the vid card power cords as an upgrade.
  10. Close as I can find for that price mike:

Two 8800GTs can be had of about the same price as a single 8800GTX , and actaully outperform the single card in SLi, strangely enough.

The new 9800 series cards have just arrived , but they olny have 512MB on board memory - so at the moment the 8800 GTX 768Mb card outperform them at high resoloutions.

Dependant on your monitor Ord , you might want to have a look at one of these :

cheap and does the buisness on a normal sized screen , I'd go for the 8800GTX if your on a 20 + " monitor with widescreen though. Computer component prices have dropped a fair whack recently , but Id recon they'll be due a hike soon , so nows a good time to buy.

I put together a 4 Gb RAM 8800GTX overclocked Quad core beast for just over a grand a couple of months ago from that website, built it myself and everything.
  11. blue-sophist

blue-sophist LE Good Egg (charities)

Running a 20" widescreen off a Quad-SLI NVidia 7900 thingy.
    Liquid-cooled Aleienware stuff.

I wish I'd never bought the Dell monitor ... trying to upgrade the old Vaio internals to generate the imagery blew that system completely.

Off to Alienware of £3800 of dogs bollosk PC [NOT].

Next system will be a Filofax .... I've really had it with high-end IT.
  12. Can the video card in a lappy be upgraded? someone told me not :( but that could have been a load of arrse :D I realise that would fcuk up the warranty, but as soon as you buy a bit of kit, 6 months later.....don't bother buying any new games! cnuts :evil:
  13. blue-sophist

blue-sophist LE Good Egg (charities)

IMO ... and willing to be abused .... more powerful cards = more heat = no way of dissipating heat = blown motherboard/internals.

14. if i was you just wait for the 9 series to kick in then we can all play crysis the way its ment to be played