Upgrading to Windows 7 64bit

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by Krazy_Ivan, Apr 14, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Guys & Girls,

I am looking at upgrading my laptop (Toshiba Satellite Pro A300-28R) from Vista 32 to Windows 7 64.

My laptop has the following:
    Intel Core 2 Duo CPU T5870 @ 2Ghz
    4GB RAM Windows Vista 32 only sees 3070MB
    320 Gb Hard Drive
    ATI Mobility Radeon HD3470 with 1531MB of RAM

My concerns, firstly: will Windows 7 64 fully utilise 4GB of RAM (and more importantly will my high end games such as AvP, Far Cry 2 & Empire Total War run better?) and secondly will an Intel Core 2 Duo happily run under a 64bit OS (I know AMD advertise there processors as x64 etc but my concern is that the Duo might not?)?

Many thanks in anticipation

K_I

2. msr

msr LE

3. Cheers for the quick answer msr. I've already downloaded the Windows 7 upgrade advisor to see and been told my laptop is compatible. But I can't seem to find any information as to whether I will actually see any improvement.

4. msr

msr LE

You will see quite a speed improvement over Vista, plus the 64bit version will see all 4 Gb of RAM.

msr

5. My advice, for what it’s worth, would be to upgrade to Win 7 32 bit. Vista was a pile of steaming poo , when it was first released, it is now a not too bad. However, Win 7 seems to run games better.

The argument for 64 bit is about future proofing your PC, or so the sales droids will tell you. But your box is out of date already, so this is a mute point. As to whether you should go 64 bit or 32 bit? Look at the applications and games you play. If they are 64 bit games and apps, then you will get a benefit from a 64 bit OS. If not, you will gain nothing. There is little point in your OS addressing more RAM if your apps will not.

6. I bought a new HP Pavillion desktop last June with Vista 64 bit loaded. I received a chit from the computer store to get a free upgrade to Windows 7 when it was released in the fall. I took the upgrade to Windows 7 Home Premium and was impressed with how much faster my computer worked with Win 7 vs. Vista. I think you will be happy with the result if you decide to upgrade. I'm not a gamer so I cannot vouch for what Win 7 will do for you in the game department. You may want to consider what bit version is best for your situation and your games though.

7. Recently rebuilt my Lenovo X61 laptop from Win XP to Win7 64 Ultimate. runs like a dream and is much quicker than any Vista machine i have used or seen. Not sure about he games situation, but any game i have tried to play on Win 7 has run lovely.

Only glitch i have had and one to watch out for id the Black screen of death. Its a common problem and easily resolvable with a registry tweak should it happen.

8. msr

msr LE

Link?

9. So far so good, the 64bit version works like a dream. All 4 Gb of RAM are seen and used (apparently). The Windows Experience Index has gone up from 4.0 to 5.1 (Graphics Card had been letting the side down under Vista). AvP runs really well as does DoW2 (probably 30%-40% better!). I'm installing Empire at the moment so fingers crossed on that one. It all seems to be going well so far.

I shall report back either success or failure!

10. Black Screen Fix

Small download from Previx (as suggested by Microsoft Technet) run it and reboot. How if you cant see you desktop you ask? Safe mode with networking worked for me.

11. Have just done a fulll reformat and put windows 7 ultimate (64 bit) on my pc

Goes like a dream , pc much much faster and the on board security that comes with windows 7 has already found and deleted a trojan that nortons failed to find

vista 32 bit or windows 7 32 bit will only recognise 3G of ram. If you have 4G or more you need a 64 bit OS to fully use all available memory

12. Does any one here no what 64 bit , as opossed to 32 bit mean?

13. here ya go :

32 bit or 64 bit

14. It was a retorical question, the ironing was lost in translation.

15. OK for someone not likely to use much more RAM here's the guff on Win7

32bit
    Win 7 Home Basic up to 4GB RAM
    Win7 Home Premium up to 4GB RAM

64bit for more RAM support
    Home premium up to 16GB RAM
    Home basic up to 8GB RAM

Mind you in either case I'd go for Home Premium in your position.