Upgrading Ipod touch hard drives

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by brettarider, Jan 3, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. brettarider

brettarider On ROPs

Anyone know if this is possible? I'm thinking of getting the 8gb and whacking in a bigger drive if it can be done not paying nearly £300 for a 32gb one

2. Are they fitted with a flash drive or a solid state drive?

3. They are so thin and noiseless, I'd guess a solid state device.

4. I thought they might be but solid state drives are way expensive at the minute, do they have any slots for extra mem?

5. "Are they fitted with a flash drive or a solid state drive?" same thing !!

6. brettarider

brettarider On ROPs

No they don't have seen somewhere though that the protocol the touch uses can support upto 135gb

7. flash normally got up to 64 gb

solid state hdd 250gb are on the market, perhaps my terminology is confused as I am referring to the flash as a cf card

8. Looking at this teardown linky I would think that you're stuck with the amount of memory it is delivered with.

9. hmm maybe you could buy a knackered one from ebay and do a transplant hoping that the flash chips arent damaged

10. brettarider

brettarider On ROPs

Guess that's a no then good to know before I flash the cash! would be interested to see what the difference between 1st/2nd gen is as I've found someone selling the 32gb 1st gen ones for 216 quid

11. Will you be using it for just music or the other apps as well?

12. brettarider

brettarider On ROPs

Don't know maybe a bit of both

13. I know this is going off the subject a bit but i have been trying for a while now to update my iPod to 8.0.2 (somert like that) but it always stops at the same point saying there is an error and to contact my pc distributer, has anyone else had this problem and if so how did you fix it? My pc was built for me and ive never had this issue before.

Ta.