Upgrading Graphics Card

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by Glasgow_Jock, May 14, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Fellow PC geeks, in a bit of a quandary at the moment.

My current graphics card - NVidia GeForce 6800 - is virtually obsolete now for today's high end games (like Company of Heroes :( ). The problem is there are so many options to choose from the GeForce & Radeon series it is somewhat confusing knowing which cards you can upgrade to and cannot.

I am under the impression that my choices are limited to; my OS (Windows XP), thus limited to DirectX 9, and also my "power capacity" (apparently) where you need about 400 Watts & 26 Amps to run the latest 8 & 9 series GeForce cards (I have 345 & 9). I'm on PCI-Express also.

Any suggestions for cards fellas?
  2. Checked my PC online and it says my model has a 460 Watt power supply. Unsure where to find the Amps though (which also factors in to selecting a card? I've no idea).

Motherboard is Intel® 955X Express.
  3. Have a look at 3dmark http://www.futuremark.com/ and have a look at what other people are running and see what they are running try to get a guide of what card you want/afford and what your system can do, as you could go out and get the best graphic card and end up with a bottle neck if graphics are your number 1 priority keep in mind cpu and ram speed but in saying that you could over clock cpu and ram speed but it will still not help your graphics you are right in looking for a top end graphic card but keep in mind cpu and ram. Its the old story you end up getting a new card then find you need to upgrade other bits, another place to look is toms hardware http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/ hope this is not a bit tmi
  4. Not at all. I understand what you mean about purchasing a card that ends up surpassing the CPU & RAM (I have Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.20GHz (2 CPUs) & Memory: 2046MB RAM) which is why people recommend getting a 7 or 8 series (rather than 9 series) so I can play on medium-high settings.

I still can't fathom the difference between 256MB and 512MB with regards to there series e.g. eVGA e-GeForce 8600 GT (PCI-e, 256MB) or EVGA e-GeForce 7600 GS (PCI-E, 512MB).
  5. By the sounds of it you would be fine with a GeForce 7800GTX. My mate runs one and his handles Unreal Tournament 2007 etc.. on high settings.

I also run a 6800GT but im not to fussed at the moment as it plays all the game i like to play on medium to high settings.
  6. If you can find one with the right power specs , i'd really recommend a 8800GT as currently they are the dogs danglies in terms of grunt for cash.

You can pick up an 8800GT for between £100 - £140 dependant on make, something like

if your in glasgow take a wander into the games shop on union street, theres the LAN centre and the wee games shop that both build customs PCs , they have some uber geeks in there , if you fancy asking them ;)

Edited to add: You can use the DirectX10 cards in a XP pc no bother, and they generally perform better in DX9 than the older DX9 cards, you just cant use DX10 on a XP system.
  7. Thanks all for the feedback so far.

I think I'm going to have to now that you mention it - going bloody mental trying to ascertain my wattage, amperage, PCI-e slots, whether I have SLI or not, going for the balance between gaming (graphics) performance & not bottle necking my system etc etc.

Do you mean Games Workshop or G Force on Union St?

Good to know. Was becoming concerned that I'd be limited to DX9 cards as I'm on WindowsXP.
  8. Gforce , next door to the games workshop, or you can try in the LAN place next door to Fop.
  9. Abit off track here i bought an ati 9700 pro back in the days when it was the dogs baws for £200 from Crucial memory, and it came with a LIFE LONG guarantee. the card went faulty i sent it back they replaced it with an ati 9800 which went faulty a year later and because they stopped making that series they sent me a pci x1600 and then lol told me the life long guarentee was now nil and void and if it went faulty it would be tough. (so much for life long)
  10. Yeah only due to them losing money every time. assholes!
  11. Cheers!

Finally managed to get all relevant details:

Power Output 460Watts 32Amps
    Motherboard does not support SLI
    Has only 1 PCI-e x16 slot

A number of people seem to be saying that when it comes to the quality of the card, look at the third number e.g. 6800 > 7600 & so forth.

Think I'll go for a 8800GT card - the problem is you enter "8800GT" in to a search engine & literally dozens upon dozens of different 8800GT cards come up = :? Still unsure what the differences are between them all.
  12. You will still need to watch your power supply if you have a generic cheapo one it may state it will provide 460 watts but many can only actually supply that for short times.

Power supplys are often overlooked when doing upgrades I only have a 7600GT in my rig but it would not work properly in my old Athlon system with a 500 watt cheap PSU kept getting artifacts on screen even just running the desktop on XP (required a seperate power lead for the card as well that I had no spare lead from my old PSU) although I not gone to the dizzy heights of PCI-E yet still on AGP (with a tadge of overclocking)
  13. Power Output was a concern, though have been (reasonable) assured that my rig should handle it well enough. Will probably just go with what civi recommended:

I don't quite understand the "With full support for PCI Express 2.0" confuses me a bit - will it still work on a motherboard with a single PCIe x16 slot or not?
  14. G_J, PM inbound

15. Yes it will with no problems at all, all PCI-E 2.0 cards are backwards compatible. An 8800GT for £100 ish will be a good bang for buck card and will run just about anything at 1680x1050.