Upgrading CPU?

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by carlbcfc, Mar 18, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Here is my PC

Vista Ultimate
    2.00 gigahertz AMD Athlon 64
    128 kilobyte primary memory cache
    512 kilobyte secondary memory cache
    Board: AM2NF6G-VSTA
    Bus Clock: 200 megahertz
    BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. P1.80 12/19/2006
    2944 Megabytes Installed Memory
    361.18 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity

....now can i upgrade my CPU to make it faster and if so what do i need? upto £50 spend.
  2. msr

msr LE

3. Ha ha i know its a shite PC. I use her laptop most the time so not to bothered about a big spend, just something to double it at least. Is that £50 duel core faster then? How faster?
  4. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

probably cheaper and easier to get a new one. had a look at the Morgan website?
  5. Right, I do this for a living and I hate it when someone asks for advice and gives you all the irrelevant details!
    All we need is your motherboard manufacturer and type which is an ASRock AM2NF6G-VSTA with an AMD AM2 processor socket. As you already have a 2.0 Ghz Athlon 64 and the maximum processor your board can take is the 64FX and 64X2 family of processors I would suggest that you splash out an extra £1.70 on this one form Dabs: http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=4YBJ&SearchType=1&SearchTerms=Processors&PageMode=3&SearchKey=All&SearchMode=All&NavigationKey=50521,51940000
    A 2.7 GHZ dual core jobbie that should make your PC chug along a bit nicer than it currently does.
    If you want it to go even faster then get rid of Vista and go back to XP. Windows 7 will be here by the end of the year and will do a far better job than Vista whilst using far less system resourses, so I'd wait for that one.
  6. Cheers for that. I put everything as i didnt have a clue what you needed. You think rolling back to xp could make it just as fast as spending the £51.70?
  7. Not as fast. That processor and XP would be pretty damned nippy though. Especially for gaming. Keep your RAM where it is though. XP 32bit won't see more than 3GB, and that's plenty enough.
  8. Vista is a memory hog - more RAM i say!
  9. Vista is indeed a memory hog, which is why I reccomend going back to XP. To use more than 3GB RAM with Vista you need the 64 bit version anyway!
  10. Last W/E I upgrade from an Athlon +6000 X2 to an Intel E5200. Cost £50, but you'd need to budget for a motherboard as well. E5200 is about comparable to a +6000, but with one change to the bios I've overclocked it by 50%, so it's MUCH faster.
  11. I`d say try ubuntu its a linux distribution and makes old pcs work quite respectably again. Its also free.
  12. The problem is alot of the time it's too easy to buy something new for a computer, but if the computers old and you buy something too advanced compared to the rest of the computer it will be like strapping Jet engines to a shopping trolley leading to the computer crashing violently and stress levels to increase dramatically.

Simple things like external hard drives or maybe just upgrading a graphics card can make big improvements.