Upgrading a CPU on my gaming desktop.

Discussion in 'Hardware - PCs, Consoles, Gadgets' started by BaldBaBoon, Nov 12, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am looking at upgrading my CPU on my computer and would welcome some advice if its worth it, or just to stay with the one I have.

Existing System.

AMD Athlon II x640 3.oo Ghz processor.

8 gb ram

AMD Radeon HD 7700 graphics board
    AMD Radeon

Asus M5A 78L-M LX V2 motherboard

ASUS - Motherboards- ASUS M5A78L-M LX V2

My new addiction is going to be Planetside 2...a MMO shooter, with hundreds of people scooting about on screen at a time, it is going to be quite a load on most computers....My system is ok at the moment while playing this on Beta, and it is pretty damn good on almost all my other games.

Is there an affordable upgrade route or is it going to be expensive ?

2. Double the RAM, if your MB allows. That's always more cost-effective than a new processor.

3. Increase RAM, but put any other cash you have towards eventual cost of a replacement system.

4. I believe my system can support up to 16gb ram...I will snap up some today.

5. I'd change the graphics card for a GeForce GTX 560Ti - approx £160.

6. He's already got 8Gb ram. There is no way that any home PC is going to be using anywhere near that just for gaming so going to 16 is a waste of money. (encoding/rendering etc may be, but the processor would be the bottleneck for that)

The motherboard has an AM3+ socket and will therefore support the latest AMD FX processors (most likely with a bios update). AMD have just released the newer FX processors which are a good deal better and cheaper than the first lot.

For gaming then the graphics card is the main let down. I'm still running a core2duo E8400 (overclocked at 4ghz) and 4Gb DDR2 ram (soon to be upgraded but it's lasted 4-5 years and will make a nice HTPC) yet I can play all games because I have a Radeon HD6950 2Gb.

So it's upto the OP how much cash he wants to throw at the PC.

Planetside 2 system requirements:

Minimum System Requirements

[TABLE="class: wikitable"]
    [TR]
    [TH] OS[/TH]
    [TD] Windows XP[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TH] Processor[/TH]
    [TD] Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 or higher / AMD Phenom II X2 or higher[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TH] Memory[/TH]
    [TD] 4 GB RAM[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TH] Hard Drive[/TH]
    [TD] 15 GB free[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TH] Video Memory[/TH]
    [TD] 256 MB RAM[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TH] Video Card[/TH]
    [TD] nVidia GeForce 8600 series or higher / AMD or ATI 4850 series or higher[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TH] Sound Card[/TH]
    [TD] DirectX compatible[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
    Recommended System

[TABLE="class: wikitable"]
    [TR]
    [TH] OS[/TH]
    [TD] Windows 7[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TH] Processor[/TH]
    [TD] Intel i5 processor or higher / AMD Phenom II X6 or higher[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TH] Memory[/TH]
    [TD] 8 GB RAM[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TH] Hard Drive[/TH]
    [TD] 15 GB free[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TH] Video Memory[/TH]
    [TD] 1,024 MB RAM[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TH] Video Card[/TH]
    [TD] nVidia GeForce 500 series or higher / AMD HD 6870 or higher[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TH] Sound Card[/TH]
    [TD] DirectX compatible[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

PlanetSide 2 - PlanetSide 2 Wiki

So you are above minimum system requirements already and will be able to play the game on your system as it stands. Why not play the game and then see how it runs? Then upgrade GFX to beyond recommended specs if you need to and flog the 7700.

For quick comparisons between CPUs and GFX cards go to Performance charts - Tom's Hardware

You can then use the check boxes at the side of each card score to compare those cpus and cards directly. (A HD6870 will beat a HD7700 every time even though the price of the cards are the same and the 6870 is older)

• Like Like x 1