Updated :French sinks 2 Pirate Ships, 41 pirates detained

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by fantassin, Mar 5, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. This morning, after it had been sent to patrol an area of the Indian Ocean where a French and a Spanish ship had been attacked, the FNS Nivose's helicopter detected three ships (one mother ship and two skiffs).

When overflown, the pirates started ditching equipment.

The FNS Nivose, which belong to the EU Mission Atalanta sent a boarding party which then sunk the mother ship and one skiff. Eleven pirates are currently detained onboard the FNS Nivose.

In French only so far:

Update: another intercept took place latter in the same day

This morning, the French trawler Talenduic was attacked by three pirate skiffs; she called two other French trawlers for help, the Trevignon and Torre Giulia. Since the trawlers have French Navy fusiliers marins protection teams onboard (Equipe de Protection Embarquee EPE), the pirates were repelled. While fleeing, two pirate ships including the mothership capsized....

The trawlers recovered six pirates and they are now detained by the French navy EPE.

Latter in the day, the FNS Nivose was sent to another location, 90 miles from the first intercept; another three pirate ships were "neutralized" and another 11 pirates detained....
  2. Way to go!
  3. Job well done.

Personally I'm conflicted, in one respect I think we should form an international task force, move inland and take care of the pirates there, the other, if we did that, then we would have to stay...

kind of like, you touch it, you own it, sort of thing.
  4. It's a very sad day for the Royal Navy
  5. Excellent news,! Hope the British Gob'ment and the Navy see how it's done, you've got to hand it to the French, they don't fcuk about.
  6. Why?
  7. The frog's showed how it should be done
  8. Because the last three times the Royal Navy made the headlines, it was for f**k ups of monumental proportions
  9. Did you mean Fuck up's :?
  10. I take it the French Navy don't have Ipods and table tennis bats?
  11. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

I think that the only way to stop the pirating trade is by direct action. I'm afraid that people in that area understand the rule of force far better than any rule of law

Until the international community actually start sinking pirate ships and give the direct of actually owning a set of balls, the pirating will continue.

Well done the Frogs.
  12. Shame they detained the pirates first.
  13. I'll start applauding when I've seen the outcome of the eleven pirates' claim in the European Court of Human Rights.
  14. No ECHR if they are in Davey Jones locker!

wasn't piracy until recently a capital offence under UK law?
  15. Pirates that have actually carried out piracy acts against French ships are trialled and detained in France. That's what has happened with the pirates captured by the French navy SOF during the three different hostage-rescue Op on the Ponant, Carré d'As and Tanit last year.

The others are generally off-loaded in Kenya or the Seychelles and detained locally according to the different MoUs.