Update your email address - its newsletter time

Discussion in 'ARRSE: Site Issues' started by Ex_ex, Sep 6, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm getting this message on every page:

I've tried changing my email address to get rid of it but no luck.

2. If you've updated your e-mail and still see the message, log out, re-log in and change your e-mail address again. If that doesn't work you need to set up a new e-mail address and do the whole thing again. It sometimes takes a few attempts.
  3. I'm pretty sure it's deliberate ex ex. I guess temporary.
  4. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

Yep. Good CO did it so that people will read the newsletter and people who haven't yet registered know about it too.
  5. Thanks for the suggestion Legs, I'd already tried that before posting the message.

Ok ta gents, I'll just ignore it then.

(like I do with Sven's posts) :)
  6. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

Hi deliberate and not sophisticated enough to know if you actually have changed your email address. Also it doesn't really think that you registered with rambo_22_nija@hotmail.com although we do have a few of those - someone has a superb bob_14_int or something along those lines for example.

Anyway, it'll go offline tomorrow. Meanwhile please live with it for that short time, so that the weekday users get the pleasure.
  7. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

Tell you what - I'll see if the software makers are interested in adding a 'dismiss' button for us. That would make it a genuinely useful feature.

Might even try it myself.
  8. Now I is reelee confused! I've received every newsletter (all two of them) to date to my existing e-mail address. Does yon message mean I have to update it, and if so, how do I do that? It seems to work fine as it is, so why is an update necessary?

Puzzled of Peckham

9. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

No. It means that if your email address is up to date, you're fine. If the one you joined with in 200x has fallen by the wayside then update.
  10. Ah, gotcha. Many thanks, mucker. Much appreciated. :)

11. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

I'm working on a 'dismiss' button now so you can get rid of it.

I didn't think it was so tricky to work it out! Maybe a multi-page questionnaire format is needed.
    "Have you checked your ARRSE account email address recently"... "If no click this link"... "Is it valid?"... "If no... do XYZ"
  12. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

These are back on but should now me 'dismissable' and stay closed. Errors on a postcard please.
  13. GCO, when I 'dismiss' the message, the page refreshes but the message is still there.
  14. (GCO in disguide)

Have you disabled javascript? If so please allow it for arrse. If not can you tell me what browser you're using?