• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Update: What happend to the Gurkha that beheaded a Talib?

Stacker hates Gurkhas so not exactly representative of Arrse, If he'd been EDL of course Stacks would be singing his praises. Personally good luck to Johnny Gurkha, give the man a medal, rather have them on our side than against us.

I'd have thought just a slap on the wrist to keep the ones who were in an outrage happy but I doubt anything serious will come of it. Anyone know?

Stacker hates Gurkhas so not exactly representative of Arrse, If he'd been EDL of course Stacks would be singing his praises. Personally good luck to Johnny Gurkha, give the man a medal, rather have them on our side than against us.
Hooray its Maple, who now is going to look like a **** when I ask him to post anything that says I hate Gurkhas.
Once you can't find anything (and therefor look like the **** that you are) maybe you want to talk to some of Ghurkas who were out there and don't approve of this blokes behaviour either.

Really? Did you hear about the Royal Marine booted for hitting a Talib who was planting IEDS?

Royal Marine 'beat Afghan prisoner with a Wellington boot' - Telegraph
Did you read the article you linked to? He was beaten while held captive, not while planting IEDs..... Once a prisoner under our care, they have rights (unless we hand them to the Americans in which case they just disappear) You would have thought even the thickest would have learn't that from Iraq...... Never mind a Capt

Did you read the article you linked to? He was beaten while held captive, not while planting IEDs..... Once a prisoner under our care, they have rights (unless we hand them to the Americans in which case they just disappear) You would have thought even the thickest would have learn't that from Iraq...... Never mind a Capt
(unless we hand them to the Americans in which case they just disappear)

So why the **** are we bothering to process them, find the nearest GI and hand them over with a cheery smile and "There you go buddy all yours" job jobbed.

When it comes to collecting genetic material for ID purposes I can foresee the difficulty in taking an uncontaminated oral swab from a corpse in a battlefield, take the head and you can do so in comfort later.

Perhaps we should do the same with all those kiddy fiddlers.

Exactly, it's easy for us to all sit and judge and say "now thats not right you should have done this..." from the comfort of a desk or behind a newspaper but we weren't there. He made a decision on the ground so cap doffed to him. As for your insinuation Stacker that it may have been done for anything other than that purpose: you're a fool.

Coming back from a meeting and thread finally kicked off. Stacker, l did not understand what the issue was at the time, he was given a job to do, most likely without being told how to do it. I doubt the Gurkha has watched too much CSI up in Nepal, hell, I would be surprised if he was familiar with the idea of DNA! May be this was his the only way of ID'ing the guy in the eyes of said Gurkha.

I felt the reaction of the MOD at the time was excessive and I can't help but feel that he is being made the scapegoat when indeed I don't know why it is so important that dead Talibs are not disfigured. Are there talks underway that could be harmed because of this? I just did not understand what the big deal was, hence my question, so does anyone fecking know or what?

I doubt that you'll hear anymore about this, it's been quietly allowed to fade away.

If you had access to the same sources of information as Stacker, you'd be aware that the story is far different from the bullshit in the Daily Mail.

The only thing correct in the DM's story was a Gurkha removed a dead Taliban's head and removed it from the place of death and as a result he was sent back to the UK.

Everything else, especially the "the taken for identification" story is pure fabrication without which the decapitation story would never have been published in the DM (and thus copied all around the world except to most of the other British mainstream media)

not to mention it's totally different, your article is about a prisoner with rights, not a corpse that needed to be IDd

Article 15 of the Geneva Convention prohibits the desecration of the dead. Any argument about identification is irrelevant. In any case there are plenty of alternative methods available at company level and below, assuming there was actually some value in verifying the KIA's ID or indeed a record against which the KIA's ID could be verified.

Latest Threads