Upcoming Michael Palin series: North Korea

Me too. It’s been a long time and we’ve had to put up with imposters who can’t lace his boots - Sue Perkins immediately springs to mind.

Will it include unrestricted/unsupervised access to ordinary folks though? I doubt it.

Guns

ADC
Book Reviewer
CNNgo - CNN.com - Escape from North Korea

CNNgo - CNN.com - Scroll to the end and see Secret State of North Korea.

The CNN correspondent is a regular visitor and has done a number of very good stories from within.

Will it include unrestricted/unsupervised access to ordinary folks though? I doubt it.

I suppose there are two journalistic options. One would be to (pretend to) play along with the authorities, and leverage that to get some candid inside material on the regime itself. The other would be to go down the covert tourist route and obtain footage of the life of the masses.

IMHO either approach is valid. Given Palin's talents and general affability, he may well be able to make the most of the "cosy up to the authorities" approach; I could imagine him having tea with Fat Boy, for example - which would itself be a sensational journalistic scoop.

A point to note on the "covert" route - perhaps the most common of the foreign expose films - is that it can be lethally dangerous for the poor souls who unwittingly appear in the footage. There'd be considerable issue of journalistic ethics in, say, having tea with a poor family and eliciting their true feelings and experiences.

Looks promising so far. Love Michael's travel programmes. If he and Rick Stein could do a series ( Michael for the travel bit and Rick for the foodie bit) then that would be worth watching.

A point to note on the "covert" route - perhaps the most common of the foreign expose films - is that it can be lethally dangerous for the poor souls who unwittingly appear in the footage. There'd be considerable issue of journalistic ethics in, say, having tea with a poor family and eliciting their true feelings and experiences.
Indeed, anyone that can be any way connected to the project can be held responsible. Case in point: the N.Korean driver and tour guide who hosted a foreign school trip 'infiltrated' by a journalist.

I'm starting to warm towards North Korea, from the traffic girls directing traffic to the state issue of beer tokens to men to the tune of five litres a month.

I'm starting to warm towards North Korea, from the traffic girls directing traffic to the state issue of beer tokens to men to the tune of five litres a month.
If only the traffic cops looked like that here.
Ch5 are pretty good at docos,and of course Mr.Palin knows what he is doing.Interesting stuff,I thought,even with state control.

If only the traffic cops looked like that here.
Ch5 are pretty good at docos,and of course Mr.Palin knows what he is doing.Interesting stuff,I thought,even with state control.
If only they did indeed,though there might be a few RTC ......
Entertaining and informative, the way Michael always does with his docs. I'll be very interested to see what life in the other part of the country looks like.

Really enjoyed the second episode. Very entertaining and informative. Don't think much of their roads though and nor did Michael.

Just watched both episodes, very interesting. Never knew North Korea had such tasty women. It must be all that working the fields and lugging shit around in wheel barrows.
Puts the hotties in the Balkans to shame !!!

Just watched both episodes, very interesting. Never knew North Korea had such tasty women. It must be all that working the fields and lugging shit around in wheel barrows.
I fancied his guide (the female one for the avoidance of doubt) and those busy girls in the airport too.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I wouldn't mind driving round and round Pyongyang (sp?) just to eye up the traffic cops directing traffic. Very easy on the eye :D

I watched both episodes, and the final one on Thrusday evening 27th was interesting. The NK Minders who shaperoned Michael Palin and his camera crew seemed genuine after a while, however they were restricted in how they could talk openly, and the way they were brought up under their culture. I found it all very interesting. I hadn't realised that michael Palin was 75 years old. i still wouldn't choose to go there for a holiday, perhaps some Corbynistas and others of that ilk might travel there one day. Perhaps North Korea will be seen as a holiday destination for Old scoialists in he Labour Party, instead of the wonders of Zimbabwe or Venezuela.

the cult of the Dear Leaders, the Kim dynasty perhaps will become the norm and de rigeur for a Marxist led Labour Party here in Blighty, assuming the Labour moderates can wrest back control from the Marxianities of Momentum, a party within a party.

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
An informative doco as far as it went but Palin came across as an incurable Liberal who thinks if only everyone was nice then everything would be OK.

A corrective account (and VERY readable):

41W4+SfV9GL__SX316_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

chrisg46

LE
Book Reviewer
An informative doco as far as it went but Palin came across as an incurable Liberal who thinks if only everyone was nice then everything would be OK.

A corrective account (and VERY readable):
Not technically wrong. If everyone was nice, then things would be ok! Unfortunately, there are some absolute spunk-gargling thundercnuts out there.