Up To 100 Million Analogue Radios "Wiped Out" !

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by ALVIN, Mar 29, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. In five years, all radios in the UK will switch to digital. This development was first announced some time ago, but it seems many people are still unaware of it. In fact, the government has been warned it is in danger of a public backlash when listeners realise what is happening in 2015.

Peers in the House of Lords say the plan to leave behind FM and AM could backfire when between 50 and 100 million analogue radios become largely redundant and around 20 million car radios stop working, unless they are converted.

The Communications Committee's findings suggest there is "public confusion and industry uncertainty" about the switchover, illustrating its point by insisting that many consumers are still buying analogue radios, even though they will soon become museum pieces.

They have warned of a "major public reaction" against the proposal, particularly when people realise that only 1% of all cars can receive digital, even though 20% of all radio listening takes place on the road.

There are serious concerns about how the elderly or members of disadvantaged communities will cope with the change. The report also criticises the decision to close 6 Music and the Asian Network, suggesting it sends out the wrong signal to listeners.

So what the funk do i do with my new 2 grand, state of the art F.M only Tuner ??? "Built to last a life time" the manufacturers stated :?
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Bastards,think of the children.

Support Radio now, wheres the UN when mass murder occurs.
  3. Give it away to an African community village hall and buy a wind up dab radio to use here :wink:
  4. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

Little sympathy for you here, I'm afraid. Perhaps some research might have been in order?

I agree that it will be the technophobic oldies that suffer most. The price of digital radios need to come down. Do as I have done and provided the APs with a Roberts 1950's lookalike one with digital innards - took to it like duck to water.
  5. Twats I new there was somthing in the back of my mind when Iforkrd out for a new radio for sprog1's car dohhhhh
  6. I suppose there'll be some clever people around who will set up rebro stations, retransmitting digital stuff on FM and AM transmitters. They'll probably do quite well from advertising revenue.
  7. The world is still analogue. Digital is still shit (apart from the mobile phone network)

My digital set top box is unreliable and needs re-tuning once a week.

Many of the digital radio channels I should be getting are crap or silent. You only get the station name/logo, no sounds.

I live in a suburb of London well inside the M25 and looking out of my window now I can see the Crystal Palace and Norwood transmitting towers.
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Out of interest, how will this effect car radios? as to be honest, I have not seen a digital car version anywhere?
  9. I have always wondered about this because the digital TV change over has been a complete shambles, rushed through for some unknown reason and very poorly thought out, Some crettin at the BBC came up with the idea , you have to retune all your kit every couple of weeks as they keep changing the system, but even the BBC has made a mess of it with their teletext red button only working on some channels some of the time, for older people its a nightmare, and why, so we can all be bored shiteless by wonkers trying to sell crap on loads of channels and watch millions of re-runs of programs that were crap the first time around, another very expensive government F**k up
  10. Some sort of converter will hit the shops. How much will it cost?

Also, won't a digital signal have some problems with a moving receiver? I know digital mobile signals generally don't have this problem, but that wasn't always the case?
  11. Have the Gov't thought about the 100,000s of drivers who travel outside the UK? I'm sure they'll be plenty of pissed off truck drivers when they lose their radio signal leaving the French end of the tunnel!
  12. Isn't there a digital radio for cars being advertised at the moment. It's certainly being advertised on Classic FM. Can't remember its name (so it's not a very good advert, then).
  13. Yes you are right......It's called "HIGHWAY" and it is made by a firm called "PURE". and it sells for around £80 and works via your standard car radio by transmitting a D.A.B signal to it on a certain freqency.
  14. That's the badger !
  15. It doesnt matter, what the pissed off majority need to do is to send all their analogue radios to the govt via a freepost account, I'm sure one could be found!