Up for it..

My 18 yr old son is in (RE) Phase one training week 14 and will pass out of Friday at Pirbright. He was told yesterday that he will be given the Best Endeavour Award. He automatically thinks that it;s a 'well done for trying' award - but it's more than that, isn't it? Advice, thoughts, wisdom?

That's a new one. Sounds like what used to be called 'Most improved recruit'

I think that 'most improved recruit' is the sub-title. My son is army through and through and 'loves' the life. He is very fit and has done well in this aspect, in all other areas he's propably a typical 18 yr old recruit. He seems to think that if it's most improved recruit...then you must have been identified, early training, as 'not as good as the rest - but now caught-up and if this is the case he's at a loss to see why that would have been the situation. I say that any award is a good award by army standards. What do you experts think?

His training team have deliberated long and hard ie "eeny, meeny, miny, moe" and he is the chosen one.

He should accept the award with grace, if he tries to think through every decision made on his behalf whilst he is in the army he'll have an embolism!

Most improved soldier mainly rewarded mediocrity.

"Well done, you were shit, but have pulled it out the bag at the last minute and managed to reach the minimum standard that everyone else acheived weeks ago".

Best endevour sounds a catch all award given on the general consensus of the DS.

It could mean that your son started as a fucktard, struggled to put one foot in front of the other and looked like a bag of shit tied in the middle, yet as training has progressed now emulates something resembling a soldier.

It could also mean that at every stage of training he has dug out blind, max effort, gym, drill square and classroom, he may have been noticed to have helped others and made a good impression on others.

Or his DS are RE.

Well I can only speculate on the reason for the award or its nature. I do know that his fitness has been good; ran the 1 1/2 mile in 8:20 repeatedly, tab marker, 1st over assault course, and top two for other bits and bobs re fitness, etc. Knowing my son, its

'could also mean that at every stage of training he has dug out blind, max effort, gym, drill square and classroom, he may have been noticed to have helped others and made a good impression on others.'

But I'm his Dad and a civi - so don't know what's what when it comes to the army. Proud of him though.

greyfergie

MIA
Book Reviewer
I never recovered from the ignominy of receiving the 'Best Recruit' award in my youth, oh the shame of it all....

Yours aye

Maj Gen 'Tiny' Prickster

Well done to him for passing.....

Arte_et_Marte

ADC
Be proud of the lad, sounds like he has done well.

He shouldn't get his head in the clouds though. He is currently in a training environment which is a completely different animal to the working unit he will be posted to.

Once there, he will be working with professional soldiers whose experience will range from the heroic to the pathetic and he will find his niche in there somewhere.

His tales of 'derring do as the best recruit at Depot will not win him any friends. So advise him to stick his certificate in his scrap book, and not to take any trophies for his bed space adornment.

I wish him well.

Most improved soldier mainly rewarded mediocrity.

"Well done, you were shit, but have pulled it out the bag at the last minute and managed to reach the minimum standard that everyone else acheived weeks ago".

Best endevour sounds a catch all award given on the general consensus of the DS.

It could mean that your son started as a fucktard, struggled to put one foot in front of the other and looked like a bag of shit tied in the middle, yet as training has progressed now emulates something resembling a soldier.

It could also mean that at every stage of training he has dug out blind, max effort, gym, drill square and classroom, he may have been noticed to have helped others and made a good impression on others.

Or his DS are RE.

Begone foul fiend, back to the depths of RLC Hades where you belong. In the name of Christ I command you to leave this thread.

DaManBugs

LE
Book Reviewer
Well I can only speculate on the reason for the award or its nature. I do know that his fitness has been good; ran the 1 1/2 mile in 8:20 repeatedly, tab marker, 1st over assault course, and top two for other bits and bobs re fitness, etc. Knowing my son, its

'could also mean that at every stage of training he has dug out blind, max effort, gym, drill square and classroom, he may have been noticed to have helped others and made a good impression on others.'

But I'm his Dad and a civi - so don't know what's what when it comes to the army. Proud of him though.
I haven't a clue what the award means, but it sounds like he did really well and passed with flying colours. The British Army doesn't hand out anything unless it's deserved. You have every right to be proud of him and I wish both you and him well for the future.

MsG

Got that as well! All he wants to be is a good soldier...as good as he can be. When he's home he'll read this thread and take a lot from it. Thanks all.

Lacking Moral Fibre

War Hero
Book Reviewer
His training team have deliberated long and hard ie "eeny, meeny, miny, moe" and he is the chosen one.

Sounds a bit like my son got to carry the schools CCF standard on sunday, full of pride I asked the CO of the detachment "Was he chosen because of his keen attendance and dedication?"
"No" says the capt, "We flipped a coin and he won".

I've been responsible for some 'who gets best improved awards' and they are either as said, was biff, now normal or can't think of anyone so she was cute, shall we give it to her?

Either way an award is an award. Your son got it, others didn't. Both you and he should be proud.

Like the others have said, he was someone that managed to turn it around, sort his sh1t out and pass out as a Sapper - there would've of been many that didn't. Most of the best blokes in the RE should've never passed basic training and were told they'd never amount to anything. - whilst many of the top blokes just fade away.

Welcome to the Corps.

My Fijian full screw once described the award as:

"It is when you get here and are sh!t, and then when you leave, you are not so sh!t".

Bloke who got it left soon after and is now, unbelievably, an air traffic controller in the RAF.

Fintry

Old-Salt
Dear ARRSE,

Having read your recent thread discussing the 'Best Endeavour' I thought to put pen to paper and mail you my views.

I like the spaceship Endeavour. I think this stems from me going to see the film 'Moonraker' with my dad when we went to Morcambe in the late 70's on holiday.

upload_2014-11-11_14-49-7.jpeg

I also like the boat that was called Endeavour. I do like the old ships of the past olden days of yore and they look a bit 'piratey' too which is a bunus. I also quite like the film 'The Goonies' especially when that fat lat does the truffle shuffle, and that.
upload_2014-11-11_14-51-8.jpeg

However I can't help but think that the Geordie ex Auf Wiedersehen Pet bloke who I think was a bricklayer with Oz is a bit shitter...

images

...than the extremely handsome bloke who is in fact the real Endeavour.

upload_2014-11-11_14-54-57.jpeg

And not this twatty wannabe..

images

So I think the best Endeavour is definately the second last one, but maybe the spaceship. But I do like boats. And that Whately bloke is a little bit shite.

Well done to your son OP, I think we can all agree that I'm probably right.

Cheers aye

John Thaw
No.1 Front Street
Heaven
Oxfordshire
WC1

(Edit to add - I think Moonraker was late 70's, if it wasn't then my parents must have got divorced slightly later than I initially thought..)

Latest Threads