Up for Iran anyone?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by goodkurtz, Aug 28, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Study: US preparing 'massive' military attack against Iran

Larisa Alexandrovna and Muriel Kane
    Published: Tuesday August 28, 2007

2. nope - wonder how it would effect the different militias in the south if some of them are pro-iran and some are anti. (if/when the US does it i mean)
  3. Well, concidering the reason for Iraq was for WMD. And we never found any, and there is blatent proof that Iran has, then it would only make sense if you saw it from that perspective.

We would have to pull out of Iraq to support a war in Iran. Iraq, Iran and Afghanistan would be foolish with a small army, if the British were to be involved.

Or we could let Isreal deal with it? Fair one??
  4. msr

msr LE

Well, if there's one thing guaranteed to make the Iranian people unite behind their president....
  5. The US could, but would they?

Another question is what would it mean for the UK. The public is behind the Armed Forces, fed up with the Iraq mess and dubious about Afghanistan. The mood would change to outright hostility towards continuing involvement with US military adventures, whether in Iraq, Afghanistan or anywhere.
  6. I think part of the reason they're thinking about it is to prevent the Israelis doing it.

Whatever happens we should stay out of it imo.

There was a quote from a thread somewhere by a journo in Pakistan saying the US should switch from a "global war on terror" to a "war on global terror". We're stuck with them in Afg but until they get it into their heads that smashing nuts with a sledgehammers is going to make things worse then i personally don't want the UK getting into any more wars with them in charge.
  7. Seems a trifle ill-considered to my untutored eye. America can bomb them 'til the cows come home, but if they don't put their hands up, there's going to be a problem if the Yanks are not prepared to put boots over the border.

The Iranian nuclear potential needs to go, but if the US hasn't got the manpower or stomach to get in on the ground and do it properly this time, it's likely to turn ugly for a few decades following. Quite a few decades, probably. Infact win, lose or draw, it'll still be ugly, and America's a bit busy at the moment.

Best avoided, unless America is really willing to give them the full repertoire and the complete scorched earth treatment. I can't see that happening, but what do I know?.
  8. msr

msr LE

9. I think this is an, ' Arrse'rs beware ' thread.
  10. I don't know if this is possible or not with just airpower but my guess would be they'd be mainly wanting to knock back the Iranian nuke program by about 8 years. On the assumption that the Iraq effect could lose them one or two pres elections.
  11. msr

msr LE

Sounds like even the Frogs are up for it:

In his first major foreign policy speech, French president says diplomatic push by world's powers to rein in Tehran's nuclear program is only alternative to 'Iranian bomb or bombing of Iran'

12. Yep! Let's wind up the Iraquis and point 'em east.
  13. The article is cack though.
  14. Dead right. I think under this administration America is trying to make itself the most hated nation in the world.

Their plan any way is as fcuking bonkers as it is brutal. In order to make up for the decision to not use ground forces, (that they anyway haven't got) they will up the airstrikes. This of course will lead to the deaths of tens if hundreds of thousands of Iranians.

But nonetheless they will have committed the error - of leaving them in control of the ground.
    This is not only bad from a humanist point of view but a military one as well. And if the Iranians can't strike back at the Americans from their homeland they will, as already promised, go anywhere in the world to strike back.

All American business's and people wherever they are would suddenly be at risk. One would have thought that the first duty of a ruler is to keep his population safe and secure. This that wretched idiot Bush and his cronies is the thing that they will have sacrificed.