UOTC

Discussion in 'OTC' started by jbwright, Nov 29, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm going to university next year (hopefully either Birmingham or Kings College London - both boasting 'brilliant' UOTC's) and I was wondering what the actual format of what 'life' as a member of a UOTC would entail...

I go to a state school, and within which I am massively involved with my CCF, and after university, through my Army Sixth Form Scholarship, I'm obviously going to RMAS.

Can anybody sort of give any details about:
    1 - details of commitments
    2 - I've heard rumours that you get paid - whether this is true
    3 - what sort of things you actually do?
    and any other miscellaneous details you can provide me with would be most appreciated.

Cheers

2. You get paid.

3. slightly briefer answer than i anticipated, but still helpful.

any other details you know of at all?

4. I am no expert, but I think the commitments and training are broadly comparable with the TA (except you can't be deployed in ordinary circumstances).

And you get paid.

If you have a choice, go to KCL.

5. You get laid.

Do it, it's a giggle and the entry standards are embarrassing. Milk it for every penny, skiing, skydiving, scuba diving, trips to America, all sorts of shit. Be active and proactive and find out what you can get out if it. I managed a cheeky few k, a commission and three ski trips. Plus my knob wet every now and again.

6. I'd check your persec as well! Go to KCL, Brum is ****. London is as full of wogs but there's more fun to be had.

7. 'persec'?
    and yeah my first choice would be KCL as its the better place for my course (war studies), although im not a fan of london.

how often do you go on exercise and what would it entail, what kind of things do you learn that are actually useful in preparing for RMAS? only reason i say this is because my current ccf participation pisses me off to the max because its so limited in terms of 'what we can do' that stays within limits of health and safety and all that BS

8. Your username is your actual name, so anything you say can and will be used against you.. You'll get out and about a fair bit, as well as play with smoke, schmoolies etc. If you're lucky then play with GPMG and bigger stuff, but don't hold your breath. It depends from OTC to OTC, get on summer camp as the sexy stuff is usually then.

As for useful stuff for RMAS? **** all. You'll have to learn it all again, even if you obtain a TA commission.

9. my advice is use google to look up each of the UOTC websites which can detail the sorts of things your asking but give you more detail about the ones your applying to. Not having been in the UOTC its hard to advise on what they do but you get paid as a officer cadet which is listed on the army website and you can be promoted and paid as your rank. Its good for adventure training and for general military skills but you are not deployable. It basically is all good things about the army with less of the negative aspects.

10. Its ACF for students really. And you get paid. You might even get a cardboard commission out of it.

EDIT: Health and Safety is not BS. Identifying and reducing risks to ALARP (as low as reasonably possible) is something every officer and SNCO needs to be able to do whether in the cadets, OTC, TA or regs. When it is your name on the paperwork you wont be thinking its BS.

There is a difference but identifying and briefing those taking part in a risky activity and not doing it all. The former is what you should be doing and the latter is the bullshit excuse not to do it.

11. jbwright,

In it now, done it coming up three years. commitment is in my unit every Wednesday for a few hours and 2 weekends a month. probably varies per unit. it's great fun, the guys there will become your best mates at uni, you'll probably see them more than your house mates if you choose to get really involved. for a look into the army i've found it really useful, you get the chance to go away and work with TA units on some of their exercises and there are a lot of events that are only open to OTC within the army, again giving you a better look at the army. when it comes to AOSB they run "leadership development" weekends which give you more of an idea of what is being looked at, as well as in general you can show you're more committed and when you get the question "what do you think being an army officer means?" then you've got a good answer.

actual training depends if your unit still has "wings" first year is making you into a "competent" rifleman with an idea to being able to be a section commander on summer camp. second year is the more academic and 'officer' side where you start learning the basics about the "Orders and Estimates". more on that when you get there!!

Advice, don’t play up your CCF too much once you’re in the unit, no one likes that guy. From what I’ve heard OTC helps in first term RMAS, but you’ll still start from basics, no fast track system here!

take the opportunity, the pay is alright. not great, but you'll be getting paid and live firing a GPMG so can't complain too much! go to the OTC recruiting event, but beware they only recruit during freshers week.

Hope this helps

12. A long time ago, but in my day ACF/CCF experience was useful in dealing with admin etc. If you're not the one singled out for the crap beret/shit boots/dirty gun/wanky salute etc, that's the advantage you'll have other the others. Same applies too when(if) you get to RMAS. Just keep your gob shut and don't milk it. No one likes a smart arse and if you come across as one you'll be picked on in other ways (hope you can hold your drink).

13. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

Did it 35 years ago. Got paid for what I did £4.23 a day (pint of Newcastle Amber 11p). Did every drill night and every weekend and the advance party for extra dosh (usually meant prepping spuds, bedding etc). No commitment at all on my terms and conditions, no doubt this has changed.

Did lots of shooting, lots of section level training, lots of adventurous training (Snowdonia and the Lake District), got paid for that, too. Did the Cambrian March (beat 42 Cdo RM, ha!). Did a TA Royal Engineer course. Had a 2 week attachment in Germany with a RE Regt.

Ran the bar, became the disc jockey for the disco, fell in love. Made lots of friends.

Joined the infantry for 3 years after university and left 22 years later. I suppose it was OK.

• Like Like x 2
  14. thankyou everybody, your advice/info has been very helpful.

Mothman - I can see what you're saying, but you've jumped the gun and you're misinterpreting what i was saying. i completely understand the need for H&S, but i was simply trying to say that as a cadet in my late teen years, acting in the same contingent that is composed of almost entirely younger cadets (some as young as 12-13) the extent of physically demanding and challenging activities that we do is very limited - hence not being challenging enough for me.

Cmaj - Just out of interest, is the pay enough for it to act as a decent enough 'part-time job' to fund student life? what kind of pay does it actually consist of nowadays? (thanks Brotherton Lad, but our good old friend inflation makes it hard to work out the modern day equivalent of your pay figures haha)