UOTC

Discussion in 'OTC and ACF' started by nate4077, Jun 19, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Does UOTC have an upper age limit for nursing students?

2. As far as I know, as long as you're a student with two years left on your course you're allowed in, though then again I've not seen any mature students try and join. There's a few people who joined around age 23-25 at my UOTC. Don't know if that's of any help to you.

3. erm not sure to be honest, the person i'm enquiring for is 31! I know it is young for teeth arms but upper age limit for commissioned nurses was 38ish I think.

4. Hmm, I'd have my doubts. As the OTC is partly a recruiting tool for TA and reg officers, and I'd imagine they'd want people a bit younger to be recruited to have more time to serve, I mean, someone who is 31 is too o

Plus, the OTC is very much a younger persons sort of thing, someone who is 31 is on the verge of being closer in age to the PSI's than most of the Officer Cadets, if your mate is fine with that then fair enough.

Best person to ask though is your local OTC, get your mate to give them a ring or an email.

5. woopert

woopert LE Moderator

IIRC the upper age limit on joining is 24 and you can't remain on strength past the final academic term of the year in which you turn 26. This allows for students who have taken a year or two out before going to university to study an undergraduate course of a maximum of 4 years. I don't believe the type of course makes any significant difference with regards the upper age limit. I know of some students in the past who have stretched their membership of the OTC to as much as 5 years because of going straight into a masters degree after their course and they had a confirmed place on the TACC which they had deferred with the agreement of the OTC to do an extra year as a JUO and then come back as a Grp B 2Lt badged to the OTC while they were looking for a Brp A unit to join but these are the exceptions and in any case they still had to go by the age of 26.

6. Sometimes in some circumstances I believe people can join after 24. There's someone who's joined my UOTC from a Cav TA unit, she was 25 when she joined, but was just starting studying at university. Though I'm sure that's the exception to the rule, and the already being TA would have played it's part.

7. Joining the UOTC - British Army Website

Eligibility
    To join the UOTC, you need to be:

in full time higher education
    a British Citizen (or Commonwealth?)
    physically fit and want to stay that way
    Aged between 18 - 30
    Have at least two years left on the university course