UOTC to Unit transfer without medical

This is a bit of a long shot but here's my case in hand:

I joined a UOTC when I started university and recently applied for a reserve commission, however for medical reasons they cannot process my application. The medical reason is for the use of orthotic insoles.

I know it's a long shot and probably a desperate ask, but is there any possibility I can transfer direct to a unit without the medical processing? At the time of my UOTC medical I did not have these orthotic insoles. At this stage I'm not fussed if I go on to commission or go through the NCO ranks.

The reason I ask is that I know of somebody who has orthotic insoles as well who apprently is transferring to a unit soon.

I only wanted to join the INT Corps!

Caecilius

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
This is a bit of a long shot but here's my case in hand:

I joined a UOTC when I started university and recently applied for a reserve commission, however for medical reasons they cannot process my application. The medical reason is for the use of orthotic insoles.

I know it's a long shot and probably a desperate ask, but is there any possibility I can transfer direct to a unit without the medical processing? At the time of my UOTC medical I did not have these orthotic insoles. At this stage I'm not fussed if I go on to commission or go through the NCO ranks.

The reason I ask is that I know of somebody who has orthotic insoles as well who apprently is transferring to a unit soon.

I only wanted to join the INT Corps!
I can't help with your specific query, but I'm shocked that use of orthotics is a bar to entry. Is your issue particularly severe?

My surprise is based on the fact that I've used orthotics since the end of the first term at Sandhurst so it doesn't seem to have any meaningful effect on actual service. I'm amazed that we're suddenly so flush with recruits that spending ~£300 on insoles every couple of years is worth barring someone from entry.

I’m pretty sure that you can transfer direct to a unit from a UOTC without a medical - in fact, I know of plenty who have done just that.

The problem as I understand it was that Capita tend to deal with Reserve commissioning of serving soldiers/OCdts through exactly the same process as civilian DE candidates, which means following the medical ‘tick sheet’ of conditions for referrals and barring. As an example, I knew an AR JNCO whose application for a commission was put on hold pending medical referrals, as he admitted to breaking a bone in his childhood (the same bone that had been declared on enlistment years prior), which automatically raised a flag in the Capita process.

Wearing orthotics is certainly not a dischargable condition for serving personnel, so my advice would be to find someone who actually knows what they’re talking about - there used to be a number of military ‘trouble shooters’ working for Capita, and there are also a whole heap of staff officers working at RMAS on officer recruitment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm shocked that use of orthotics is a bar to entry. Is your issue particularly severe?
I think many join you in that respect, but it's fairly widely known on a tri service basis.

My guess is that prescribed orthotics indicate a significant pre-existing condition likely to be exacerbated by the rigours of recruit training due to the amount of impact CV involved.

Over the counter orthotics are not an issue and frequently recruits are prescribed orthotic insoles during recruit training if the dreaded "shin splints" occur and as long as the condition doesn't prevent the successful completion of training. It is not usually a reason for medical discharge. What is odd however, is if orthotics are prescribed during initial training and the recruit quits for other reasons....they cannot rejoin.

With regards the validity of a UOTC (List 7 Reservists) medical for entry into the regular service, if the tri service rules from JSP 950 are applied, the medical is usually only valid for 12 months for the purpose of entry. If the OTC mirrors the URNU & UAS, I think it is safe to say a University Officer Cadet medical is afforded far more latitude than the more rigorous standards applied for entry into the regular services. For example we have students in the tri-service OTCs with ongoing asthma, epilepsy, migraine, allergies, sciatica etc., that would not normally be accepted for regular service.

I can't help with your specific query, but I'm shocked that use of orthotics is a bar to entry. Is your issue particularly severe?

My surprise is based on the fact that I've used orthotics since the end of the first term at Sandhurst so it doesn't seem to have any meaningful effect on actual service. I'm amazed that we're suddenly so flush with recruits that spending ~£300 on insoles every couple of years is worth barring someone from entry.
My problem isn't particularly severe, I was training for a while. It's frustrating because everything I've done with UOTC I've been able to do fairly well without any issues.

I think many join you in that respect, but it's fairly widely known on a tri service basis.

My guess is that prescribed orthotics indicate a significant pre-existing condition likely to be exacerbated by the rigours of recruit training due to the amount of impact CV involved.

Over the counter orthotics are not an issue and frequently recruits are prescribed orthotic insoles during recruit training if the dreaded "shin splints" occur and as long as the condition doesn't prevent the successful completion of training. It is not usually a reason for medical discharge. What is odd however, is if orthotics are prescribed during initial training and the recruit quits for other reasons....they cannot rejoin.

With regards the validity of a UOTC (List 7 Reservists) medical for entry into the regular service, if the tri service rules from JSP 950 are applied, the medical is usually only valid for 12 months for the purpose of entry. If the OTC mirrors the URNU & UAS, I think it is safe to say a University Officer Cadet medical is afforded far more latitude than the more rigorous standards applied for entry into the regular services. For example we have students in the tri-service OTCs with ongoing asthma, epilepsy, migraine, allergies, sciatica etc., that would not normally be accepted for regular service.
Thanks for your input, a lot of people were booted from OTC from having asthma

I’m pretty sure that you can transfer direct to a unit from a UOTC without a medical - in fact, I know of plenty who have done just that.

The problem as I understand it was that Capita tend to deal with Reserve commissioning of serving soldiers/OCdts through exactly the same process as civilian DE candidates, which means following the medical ‘tick sheet’ of conditions for referrals and barring. As an example, I knew an AR JNCO whose application for a commission was put on hold pending medical referrals, as he admitted to breaking a bone in his childhood (the same bone that had been declared on enlistment years prior), which automatically raised a flag in the Capita process.

Wearing orthotics is certainly not a dischargable condition for serving personnel, so my advice would be to find someone who actually knows what they’re talking about - there used to be a number of military ‘trouble shooters’ working for Capita, and there are also a whole heap of staff officers working at RMAS on officer recruitment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's quite interesting. Do you know when these people transferred from OTC? My reason for asking is that they may have changed the regulation for that.

Lads thanks for your replies they've been really helpful!

I'm going to ask my adjutant about whether it's possible and if it is I'm going to go for that!

Hope you all had a good Christmas and I wish you all the best in the new year!

UOTC is basically army cadets buts on a higher level for university students. You get paid to attend training while you study. As you are doing training, the syllabus is Mod A and B from the Sandhurst reserve comissioning course. Useful tool if you're looking to be a reservist.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P OTC and ACF 43
P OTC and ACF 47
woopert The Intelligence Cell 8