Uotc/T.A In Chester?

Discussion in 'OTC' started by bigphil, Sep 16, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm looking at attending Chester university starting in 2010 and I'm currently applying as an officer in the royal armored corp (I do my Aosb brief soon) to gain a bursary. As part of the bursary I am expected to join the Uotc (something i would have done anyway) however Chester does not have a Uotc. It is home however to C squadron The Royal Mercian and Lancastrian Yeomanry which would work well with the armored side to it. So can i join there as an officer? or does it have to be a strict uotc placement?

Phil

2. Not sure but I think there are some units in Birkenhead also if that helps. Couple in Runcorn and tonnes in Liverpool too though they are a bit further afield.

3. woopert

woopert LE Moderator

Every institution that is funded by HEFCE is affiliated to one of the the OTC's. You will find yours is Liverpool.

4. Phil

Contact details for RMLY below:

RMLY

I would suggest that you give the Permanent Staff Administration Officer (PSAO) at Fox Barracks in Chester a call, he will be happy to discuss your options with you.

In particular you should give consideration to the TASO scheme (search on here for details) as this will allow you to move freely between TA and OTC. Gaining the best from both; from the OTC relevant training for a TA commission should you choose prior to regular Sandhurst and an introduction to RAC from the TA.

Good luck with your briefing and rest of your studies, any issues PM me.

Yours Aye

YM

5. thanks very much for that, so by joining the utoc in Wrexham (which i noticed has a utoc) i can then become a taso and share time between the uotc and the yeomanry (subject to them accepting me) ? Is there a required amount of time i must complete at each unit or can i focus more on just the yeomanry? Also if it fits in can i volunteer for a tour during the summer or is it a rule that Ocdt's arent allowed to be mobilised? I havent rang them yet but i have an interview next week and want to discuss this with my Army careers adviser first and want to have some background infomation first.

thanks again

Phil

6. Wrexham university is part of Wales UOTC. A mobilisation as part of the TA is a year long affair, so won't be possible during summer. You will also need to be a trained soldier with a TA unit. Generally OTC's prefer you to focus on the OTC, then do TA work on the side, rather than the other way.

7. If my memory serves me correctly, Liverpool OTC puts on transport for OCDTs travelling from Chester. Not sure if that helps you at all.

I was in a similar situation when I went to Uni and was advised to join the OTC not the TA. It was thought that it would be more beneficial to be mixing with like-minded individuals in a unit that fully understands life as a student.

Given how many of my peers went on to Sandhurst, it was good advice - you will meet people at OTC that you will bump into throughout your career as an Officer. If there was a downside to the OTC is was being surrounded by some real pricks who thought they were the dogs bollocks as an SUO, but there were also some real good people there. Infact, the only friends that I've kept since leaving uni were ones I made in the OTC.

8. Having personal experience of Wales OTC I know for a fact that Chester is part of Wrexham Coy and consequently part of Wales OTC. That said Wrexham is a new company and sadly is dead on its feet, not so much flash to bang but flash to fizzle in just a few short years. For quality training I'd say go TA but if want a "different experience" go OTC. Or 3rd option TASO with local TA unit and train with OTC

9. I do know for a fact that Chester comes under the bracket of Liverpool UOTC. The previous poster, SLS1179, is correct in asserting that there is transport laid on for those coming from Chester to Liverpool in order to attend training evenings, as well as weekends. Furthermore, reference this site:

http://www.army.mod.uk/UOTC/10766.aspx

Look down the links on the right hand side, and you will see Chester comes under the LUOTC envelope. I, unfortunately, am finishing up my time, but I cannot recommend the unit highly enough - easily served as the focal point of my three years of university, made some great friends, met some right bastards, and had some of the best times.

You spoke also of TASO in an earlier post - a friend of mine, who has since departed the LUOTC, served out his third year between LUOTC and Yeomanry. On top of that, I have friends currently existing in two seperate units under the TASO scheme. I haven't gone under the scheme myself, so I can't comment on how well it works. But it is well supported within the unit, that much I can assure you.

10. On checking the website you are absolutely right in that Chester uni does fall under the umbrella of LUOTC but I've met a few in WUOTC claiming to go to Chester uni? Unless there's separate campuses which split the recruitment this is a mystery.... :s

11. the one in runcorn shut down now

12. That's OK. Everyone on the thread will have left Uni by now. Seeing as the last post was Jne 2010.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Just as a point of interest if the newly graduated OP checks this thread again, the one that used to be in Runcorn used to be in Chester. A short walk up the hill from the college in Abbot's Park. Also part of the Cheshire Yeomanry, like C Sqn RMLY was.