UOTC or UAS for hopeful AAC pilot?

Discussion in 'Aviation' started by Edzor92, May 11, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello all, was just hoping you could lend me your wisdom on a matter...

I am set to go to University in September, and was wondering whether anyone could tell me whether the RAF's University Air Sqaudron or the UOTC would be best for me given that I am hoping to become a pilot in the AAC. I realise you cannot be part of both, but when applying I just wanted to know whether choosing the UAS over the OTC for some solid flying experience would not go down well with the Army, given that, obviously, its not the Army's organisation, and also that I had the chance to join the UOTC but didn't. Also, if you declare an interest in the AAC when joining the OTC, is there flying that is on offer anyway (I'm currently assuming the OTC offers experience only in general officer duties, and with a limited number of regiments or corps: mainly Infantry; RA; or RE & REME) ?

Anyone care to shed any light on this?

2. Do what you want to. If you want to fly go with the UAS. If you want to soldier at Uni (don't) go OTC. Neither will radically affect your prospects with the AAC but each have their merits. Enjoy 3 years of your life where you are (more or less) your own boss.
  3. Andy Warner, Eurocopter Tiger chief test pilot and Director of Ops for their facility at ECD Donauworth ex AAC and ETPS graduate.

He went to Oxford Uni and was member of their UAS for the duration he was there.
  4. Mmm, beg to differ. If you want to fly during uni and work out if you like it, go to the UAS. However, remember that the AAC is looking for soldiers that can fly, not pilots that can soldier.

The OTC is a good way (as I imagine the UAS is too) of meeting like-minded students amidst the sea of lefty liberal tossers. It provides a degree of military experience which will further help you decide if the military is for you or not.

At RMAS questions may be asked if you've expressed an interest in the military and NOT joined OTC/UAS/TA during your time at uni.

They'll also cover all the annoying paperwork that applying to the army involves.
  5. Good question! I am in the same boat as you (I think...)

I have joined UAS. What did you decided to do in the end?
  6. I presume the Army still runs flying grading as part of the AAC selection process?

If so, I would imagine that any 'free' stick time in the UAS would be of enourmous benefit, as flying grading always used to be a steep learning curve!

alternatively, if the UOTC end up paying OCdts again, you could use the money to pay for flying lessons. Some find UOTC experience to be a useful prep for Sandhurst - others must "unlearn what you have learned!", to coin a yoda-ism.
  7. A couple of guys I knew on UAS with me ended up in the AAC and did well enough. A couple of guys I knew in the RAF Regt started off in the OTC.
    Both sets got the relevant experience out of their time and put it to good use once they went for selection.
    Whichever way you go, you will get relevant experience, have a good laugh and make some life-long friends.

Best of luck
  8. Not quite true. In short, Grading measures the competence between the student at the start of 13 hours of flying and at the end. So, if the student starts with some flying ability/experience, the performance at the end needs to be stellar. BTW, don't think its easy to conceal basic flying motor skill.

This is how a lot of PPLs used to fail Grading.

There's more on this elsewhere on the forum.

An alternative approach is to join the OTC and UAS, and fake a whole load of UAS hours and hope not to get noticed. For extra jeopardy, convince the AAC that you don't need to do JEFTS (DEFTS now) and proceed straight to DHFS which does check logbooks. Not that this approach doesn't work, but it is entertaining.