UOTC Ethos

Discussion in 'OTC' started by sookmabaws, Jan 17, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Does anyone know if there is a combined Ethos for the UOTC's or do they have their own indivdual one? and where i could find it at short notive?

Cheers in advance
  2. Personally, I wasn't aware of such a thing; in any case, why do you ask?
  3. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Values and Standards of the British Army. All the ethos you need.
  4. Which some of the Regular PSI's forget about on arrival at an OTC! Not personally I hasten to add.
  5. On a course and doing a presentation.
  6. there is a "Mission Statement" somewhere, your best off contacting an OTC directly for it. individual units will put a bit of meat on the bones, although as with OTCs in general the quality dramatically differs.
  7. I'm not sure. Something about wasting a lot of money for no tangible benefit? Or 'allowing regular sergeant majors to shag students under the guise of military training? Something along those lines
    • Like Like x 1
  8. The "mission statement"

"The mission of the UOTC is to develop the leadership potential of selected university students raising awareness of the Army ethos and building interest in it’s career opportunities; in order to secure their commitment. Whether as Officers or as future leaders in their chosen profession, to champion the Army in society."

So its the same as the rest of the Army... Although in practice "a large amount of boozing, accumulating total throbbers, with a smattering of green activities thrown in for good measure"
  9. Cheers wooden crow, changed my presentation to 'I never got the posting I really wanted' a bit like stabtoreg ;-)
  10. Hey, I'm not eligible yet. Still holding out for a OTC posting.

Didn't do OTC at uni did TA which accounts for my chippiness. Slightly bitter about the amount of excellent clunge the OTC guys got! However I don't suppose many of them got a tour out of OTC so it's swings and (shit) roundabouts
  11. The clunge is a lie! They all leave after first year leaving only the overly keen, completely useless and biffs, or at least from my experience anyway.
    OTC is a good starting place for those who don't know what arm they wanna join, or if they wanna join at all though.
  12. True. It's like Vaseline for joining the army.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. I liked that.

There are three types of OTC ethos;

1 - The priority is to get Cadets through RMAS and commission, that is the be-all and end-all. Everything else is a bonus if they can fit it in.
    2 - The priority is to concentrate on the other side of OTC life, i.e toga parties and that the knowledge of dinner place settings make the Officer etc
    3 - A mixture of the above in differing percentages.

I would opinion that 1 is the most relevant at this moment in time considering OTC reviews etc but some don't seem to have received or understood the message yet.