Unusual scope placement on AR

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by ANZAC_BISCUIT, Jan 23, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. -

Aye up. Have a look at this pic that turned up in the NZ local media. Aside from the arguments about whether or not it should have been published, I was curious about where the famous Cpl has placed his scope... directly above the foregrip. Long eye relief much? Any comments/enlightenment appreciated. Cheers.

2. I'm not easily stumped on this sort of thing but you've got me on that!

Could be a laser sight although I can't see why he would mount it to obstruct the iron sights.

It looks as though it is an Image Intensifier for use on front of a scope - except he has iron sights..... :?
  3. Is it a holographic/red dot sight?
  4. Works just as easy. The Original Aimpoint CCO mount for M16 series was a forward "gooseneck" mount co-witnessing it to the iron sights. And if the iron sights are removed you can co-witness an AN/PVS-14 behind the CCO.

5. FFS I got a Bollocking for strapping a single point on my SLR in 1976
  6. - and quite right too, can't have anyone showing inititive :lol:
  7. So many of us did that ,in the end we were all paid £29 for the Army to purchase all unofficial sights we had fitted to our SLRs because the Paddys were complaining about them, thought that they gave us an unfair advantage
  8. Interesting posts, cheers all.
  9. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

Don't know about the scope but he looks nails as I assume he is since he has a V.C.
  10. Co-witnessing, the latest fashion.

It gives you 2 aiming options without having to move or adjust anything -- you use the reticle in the red dot (which has no magnification) for close-up and fast shooting, and the iron sights for a longer-range more precise shot.

Essentially, red dot sights are less good at longer range because of parallax issues and the reticle obscuring what you are trying to aim at, and iron sights are much slower to use at short range. So the solution is simple -- combine the 2 and use the iron sights through the tube of the red dot. Simples!