Unusual/Satirical Military Medals

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Wordsmith, Oct 31, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Wordsmith

Wordsmith LE Book Reviewer

Anyone know of any other unusual or satirical military medals. One I've come across is the Cherry Medal, self awarded by the officers of the cruiser HMS Argonaut for 1900 - 1904.

http://www.hmsargonaut.co.uk/wordpress/ships/diadem-class-cruiser-1898-1920-2/

Any others?

Wordsmith

2. I can just imagine how something like that would go down today.

The powers that be seem to have a major wobble over a t-shirt slogan, let alone an unofficial medal.

Be nice to try it on though! I can think of one Int Corps officer who upset just about everyone who worked with him and there would probably be enough people who'd like one to make it worthwhile producing it.

:)

Rodney2q

3. Well the most famous one of all has to be the Queen's Silver Jubilee Medal that was only usually awarded to those "in the know" or those not really entitled to it. In a bid to show how fair the allocation was, one unit I know awarded one to the RSM (who retired the following week), the youngest soldier (who had just completed his basic training the previous week) and the Commadant (who was not entitled to it as he was on the Colonels list)

• Like Like x 1
  4. I recall seeing one (on tv) the USMC had made after Guandacanal. Ah, here it is, the 'George' medal:

If you look at the right hand picture you can see the sh*t hitting the fan :)
    The George Medal

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  5. And every chief clerk...

6. Idi Amins famous 'Victorious Cross'. He had it ordered from Hancocks (VC Manafacturers) as an original 'Victoria Cross' but they declined and produced an exact replica of the VC with the lettering 'Victorious Cross'

Bet it still cost the twat thousands.

• Like Like x 2
  7. “I would like to thank Martin-Baker for saving my life recently. I am sitting here with my family because of the amazing performance of my seat. The accident happened on 23rd July 2010 at approximately 1810Z. The jet developed a problem and I was forced to eject at around 30 metres. It was way too close but the seat saved my life. Words cannot express how I feel right now, but thank you”.

30 metres.....Jesus Christ!!

Well spotted CD

8. Royal naval temperance society medal

rn%20temperance%20society%20medal.jpg
    I bet this made the holder feel much better come the time for the issue of the grog ration. Temperance medals were quite the thing to keep a man on the wagon in the Victorian and Edwardian era's.

9. The DCM? Don't Come Monday.

10. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

In 1964 in Punta Arenas I had the rather strange experience of spending an hour with Albert Pagels, a German living in Chile who had assisted the escape of the Dresden after the 1914 Battle of the Falklands. He had a medal given him by the captain of the Dresden, made by the ship's coppersmith who had mounted an American $5 piece on a clasp. The old boy was not exactly on message, he had a framed photo of the Kaiser on his living room wall.

11. The Caterpillar Club IIRC is for anyone who has parted company from a crippled aircraft and survived by virtue of a parachute. It follows that presumably there area few members about the place who didn't eject but just bailed out or in the case of an old boy in a local pub, simply had the bloody thing fall apart around him.

Whichever way it came about, I guess 30 metres would be about the size of the soon to be inducted club member's hoop at the crucial moment.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Not a medal, but still an unofficial and fairly recent decoration.

On carrying out the freedom of the city of Exeter, the mayor awarded each member of the ship's company who had taken part, a small pin with the Exeter coat of arms on it. The officers and senior rates put their's on a lapel and the scrotes like me wore it on our ribbons, just below the bow.

It was only really supposed to last the day, but everytime the skipper wore his 1s after that, he'd continue to wear the badge. We duly followed suit.

So for about a year, most of the crew of HMS Exeter, wore a completely unofficial 'decoration' on their number 1s.

Throbbing story I know, but there you go.

13. B_AND_T

B_AND_T LE Book Reviewer

Former Republic of Yugoslavia.

A medal for 7 months on the lash! What's that all about.