Unusual Repair Jobs

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Your_Mums_Pal, Feb 7, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Eh, anybody ever had to fix something up in their house or at work by unusual means?

Go on, share your tales.

I only ask because I've just discovered that the cable for the PC monitor here at work has been sellotaped to the top of a tin of Heinz Tomato Soup. It's propping the cable up because it's knackered...
  2. seen that a while back, genius..

edited for spellmong
  3. I had to repair a girl once, it's a long story.
  4. Redneck = The Southern Colonies. Obviously trying to thin out the gene pool and good luck with that!!
  5. Chap I knew worked as an estimator for a major roof tiling company.Every quote he would add three or four pallets of tiles.Eventually gathered enough to do his new house.
  6. The was a Siggy Technician in BAOR who on a job needed to repair a power switch for a cable lay to get power into the Officers tents . Switch was smashed and the spring steel contacts inside were not there. A cut and bent open COMPO tin worked for at least 2 years.

Or the time the OPS waggon woke the Sproggy tech up at 3 in the morning in the rain as the COFFEE machine fuse had blown. Not have a .0987 mA tiny quick blow fuse for a BRAUN Coffe pot a piece of twisted tin foil did the job.

Until the FofS woke the tech up again at 4 calling him over to the OPS Waggon again in the rain to give him a bolliking for unsafe electronic practices - while drinking a mug of scalding hot coffee:)
  7. A true man can fix anything with just a can of WD40 and some duct tape.. The Red Green Principle.

If it moves and it shouldn't - duct tape, If it doesn't move and it should - WD 40.

gets you back to your beer, coffee, the telly, in quick time.
  8. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

I used to repair airports
  9. When I worked in a temporary job in a steel works in Sheffield aged 15 I "fixed" a problem with a very, very expensive lathe (it was a huge thing for making tungsten carbide tools). The problem was that it needed a kind of heavy lubricating oil that was only available from the USA (where the lathe originated from). Sooooo I mixed up some light oil and some grease to make a kind of heavy oil which worked for a few hours until the grease re-solidified and congealed in the internal oil-ways of the machine. Result, one highly expensive but fucked machine. Secondary result was involuntary job cessation.
  10. A bit of wood fell off my shed. The neighbours complained when the repair guys parachuted in and shot their Pakistani visitors.
  11. When I was 19 & poor, I fixed the heater mechanism on the dashboard in my Mk1 Fiesta with a spring from a ball point pen. It lasted for 4 years until I scrapped the car when it fell apart with rust.
  12. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

Shouldnt this be in the sh*d forum?
  13. I was hitch-hiking down the A1 in the early 70s & got a lift with a wagon, a fuse had blown and the driver had linked a length of barbed wire from the High/Low ratio switch on the gear stick to the fuses on the dash.