Unusual Regiments

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by chiefwiggum, Jul 11, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I caught a chap on the radio yeterday saying how he had enlisted into the Cyclist Corps in WW1 and this got me thinking, what has been the most unusual or shortest lived official military unit?

(The radio programme was talking about how two of the three remaining WW1 veterans met the Queen recently, one was 111 and the other 106. The older gentleman spoke of the sacrifice made by others and was clearly still reliving past experiences, it was extremely moving and I pay my respects to both him and his comrades)

2. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

The Royal Navy Armoured Car Division - one of Churchill's funnies as First Lord of the Admiralty. Formed in 1914, disbanded/transferred to the Army in 1915. Arose out of the RN Air Service use of Rolls Royce cars to rescue downed pilots in the the early days of the war.

3. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

My grandfather was in the Cycle Corps in WW1. My father & the rest of the family always used to joke about him being in 'The Gas Pipe Cavalry'. :D

4. Didn’t the Germans acquire an affinity for bicycles in WWII when they evacuated Holland? 8O

Lovely banner among Dutch supporters some ago when Holland (or Ajax whatever) were playing in Germany; ” Gran’dad we found your bicycle ” :lol:

No.9

5. There was a Naval division that fought in the trenches in WW1

6. 1st Foot and Mouth, I hadn't heard of it until my DS mentioned it during a recent exercise :wink:

7. How about Popski's Private Army (WW2)?

8. US Army had a very short lived cavalry troop equipped with camels back in late 1800's. They set all the critters loose and now it's not uncommen to see one of their decendents in the terrain around Ft. Sill, OK.

9. The Naval Div isn't that unusual, it is merely a forerunner of the Marines.

Created (I believe) by the unusual situation that the Royal Navy had more men in the Naval Div than the Boat Parties (or whatever they were called then) needed, once the reserves were mobilised. Thus the surplus future Marines were banded in to the Naval Div.

Based at Blandford Camp, Dorset. There are many reminders on the camp of it's past. Not least the memorial to the Div who left the camp to go to war in WW1 and most never came back.

The Bns were Anson, Benbow, C (?), Drake and a few others i can't remember. 6 in total I think.

For strange corps' what about the Camel Corps'?

FANYs

MI (R)/ Home Guard Auxillaries.

10. 63rd (Royal Navy) Division

1st (Drake) Battalion
    2nd (Hawke) Battalion
    3rd (Benbow) Battalion
    4th (Collingwood) Battalion
    5th (Nelson) Battalion
    6th (Howe) Battalion
    7th (Hood) Battalion
    8th (Anson) Battalion
    9th (Chatham) Battalion
    10th (Portsmouth) Battalion
    11th (Plymouth) Battalion
    12th (Deal) Battalion

There are a number of reports of squaddies getting very confused when overhearing the neighbouring unit talking about port and starboard trenches, dogwatch etc.

And, Chocolate Frog, it wasn't a forerunner of Royal who can trace their history back to the 17th century.

11. blue-sophist

blue-sophist LE Good Egg (charities)

Major Edwards' fascinating tome "Regimental Badges" includes the charmingly titled Non-Combatant Corps, formed April 1940. Their badge was the letters NCC in gilding metal.

Sadly, he fails to mention when they all disappeared into the sunset ... :roll:

12. IIRC the Swiss army decided to disband their Cycle units quite recently,did a quick rethink and bought them some high- tec mountainbikes.Apparently they had two advantages,silent approach and no `fatty´soldiers!