Unusual Enfield - The Enfauser

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by Tartan_Terrier, Mar 13, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I just spotted this thread over on surplusrifle.com and thought perhaps you would find it interesting:

It's a 1908 SMLE converted by the Turks into a bizarre Enfield/Mauser hybrid. I've never seen anything like it before, have any of you seen one?

2. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Looks like he was VERY worried his house guests would not enjoy the buffet.......
  3. I've seen a couple of them before. My overwhelming reaction is - why on earth did the Turks bother?! So much gunsmithing and conversion work. I would have thought it would have been easier just to either make .303" ammunition instead, keep the rifles captured at Gallipoli and Kut together with the British ammunition that was captured with them - or even just ask their German allies to supply captured British ammo from the Western front.
  4. While on a shooting holiday in Turkey I saw a couple of them, one had been realy re-modled as a sporting rifle with new woodwork, looked good but didn't get a chance to shoot one
  5. It does seem like a lot of work, and lot of it unneccessary too. Surely the standard mag could be used with 7.92x57js rounds?

Just curious, but what sort of price were the ones you saw 4(T)?
  6. its got the NZ Gov stamp on the butt plate. were they made from battlefield pick-ups after gallipoli??

7. I would suggest the reason has everything to do with National pride rather than logic, a 'we have improved on both designs using our superior culture'..etc. Very similar stuff seen recently in Iraq of insurgent videos showing 'improvements' being made to AK's etc.

Its a kind of technological propoganda born of deep seated insecurity that aflicts cultures eclipsed by Western advances - the Chinese and Japs used to do similar things but are well over it now. Its always been an issue for the Arabs though even today.

This really looks like they just couldn't accept using somebody's off the shelf solution but at the same time couldn't Industrialise enough to make their own from scratch (remember Nassers SMG ect?)
  8. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I saw a few online about 3-5 years ago, interesting and they seemed to have been used by the Turkish Forestry service after the war!