Unusual Birds in Your Garden (avian variety)

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by pompeyfan, Dec 19, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. This is a sort of adjunct to Cuddles' post about magpies (One for sorrow etc.). In view of the current inclement weather my OH and I have been putting fat cakes out for the birds and have enjoyed watching the antics of great tits, blue tits, dunnocks right outside our window. Today for the first time we were visited by a grey wagtail (quite unusual as they normally hang about near running water).

So, any keen twitchers seen any unusual birdage in their garden?

2. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

The fat balls I put out were like glass marbles in under an hour here today, christ it's cold

3. Next door neighbour, she is a strange bird

4. Grey wagtails - never had those before but have now.

Jays, waxwing (only one), pheasant, moorcock, and a pair of Bullfinch.

And we live 5 miles from Newcastle town centre.

5. The first brambling - we're expecting the waxwings soon. In the mean time we still have all the usual sparrows, dunnocks, siskins, robins, greater spotted woodpeckers, jays, jackdaws, doves, pigeons, blackbirds, wrens, both wagtails, the occasional nuthatch and thrush, tits (including long tailed but not bearded) most of the finches and a sparrow hawk that uses the feeders as a takeaway.
    Oh yes, bloody mallards - but not for long!

6. Some rather stunning Red Kites. Lovely birds

7. We had a bird I had never seen before, which I had to look up which was a Nuthatch, pretty common I believe. I have a a pond with water freely running from a filter and noticed a bit of activity in the snowy period of birds drinking from the filter so I have been taking a keen interest in recent weeks.

8. I have a pair of Goldcrests. Lovely, hope they survive the cold winter.

9. Just went out to get some more wood and a Barn owl scared the life out of me.

10. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

Normal ones - Blue Tits, Great Tits, Sparrows, Collared Dove, Wood Pigeon, Magpie, and recently a spotted woodpecker - and for the last few months, 3 or 4 green Parakeets, always in a bunch, very colourful, pretty and active.

I am a bit concerned that they may steal all the decent housing sites from the woodpeckers - has anyone else any experience of these non-native species?

11. Wow! I've never had so many replies to a thread in such a short space of time. It's nice to know fellow arrsers are also interested in our beautiful feathered friends. But what is a moorcock? Does it go by another name, or is it a particularly unusual regional speciality?

12. Presumably you live in the South East, as I do. We get flocks of parakeets squawking overhead at regular intervals, and have seen them mobbing a pigeon. Can't comment on whether they threaten our native species, but can't help thinking they may need to be "controlled" in the near future.

13. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

They need controlling? Typical bloody Paras...............

14. we have noisy visitors in our garden everymorning, galahs and cockatoo,s 3 or 4 different types of lorikeets and rosellas , all wake us up with their dawn chatter, all through the day we have finches and our huge aussie type of magpie, but our favourite garden dwellers are the resident doves and blue wrens that chatter like mad when snakes are about, lots eagles and peregrines are quite common because our home is in foothills, not like when we lived in farnborough where our resident eagle owl barney and 2 redtailed hawks would scare anything except sparrows away. happy twitching

15. Ditto, first one i have seen in the village, there are two pairs in nest boxes about three miles away on a nature reserve, do they hunt during the day due to the weather?

Attached Files: