Unusual Army badge.

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by semper, Dec 30, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Been asked to find this out, Has Royal Engineers above and underneath it a blue patch with a dolphin like creature wrapped round a sword, believed to be dated from WW2

Any idea what it is chaps ?

Attached Files:

2. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

3 Port Task Force RE.

3. Thank you, that's interesting, What are their roles and are they still existing or defunct ? is there any web links about them ?

4. Tried that mate, no obvious links seen, only odds and sods so far, still looking............

5. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

They were TA I think and were re-badged to the Royal Corps of Transport in the 60's.

Their obvious successors would be 165 Port & Maritime at Marchwood I suppose.

6. That would be logical, as that's all I could find so far, similar to the Post and Courier section, which used to be RE then was transferred to RLC.

Can you place the era of the badge WW2 or Post War ?

I take it their role is to utilise civilian ports for military uses both friendly and captured enemy ports.

7. This has the badge, butnot much else.

page 3.

http://www.coleccionesmilitares.com/INGENIEROS/texto/REINOUNIDO.pdf

Mili Blog | military items | military vehicles | military trucks |Military Badge Collection » Misc and a pic of badge here.

seems they would have built mulberry harbours and generally assistend in getting any ports and waterways around the sea area workable.

Lots of mention of Port Bns or Companys but nothiing on a TF.... a grouping of the former to complete the task? Maybe some inf and what not thrown in for defence?

8. I so wanted to say that it was the mystical Underwater Knife Fighting Qualification, but decided that it would be crass.

9. Did you try to follow any links or look at images?

10. If 3 Ports Task Force included a design element, I suspect that part of it would now be done by 509 STRE (Ports Infra)(V).

11. Thank you guys that's certainly cleared it up and is actually very interesting, thumbs up

All the best for 2011