Untapped: The Scramble for Africas Oil

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Red Shrek, May 16, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Good, interesting article. The writer implies that this unknown, untapped potential is a huge opportunity to the free world.

I'd agree, if the oil companies' behaviour on the ground matched their squeaky clean public personae. However in the past, the modus operandi has been for western governments and multinationals to bribe the countries' governments, shaft the people, despoil and trample over the local environment and be totally callous, murderous and ruthless.

Take this brand of aggression to Africa on a large scale, mix in a dash of Chinese interest, and the proximity of the Middleast would give us a powderkeg and the potential for WWIII.

Any thoughts?
  3. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

I see the future of Africa something along the lines of...

Little yellow man walks up to little black man, reminds him how royally the little white man has historically shafted the little black man up the ARRSE. Little yellow man takes out chequebook.
  4. mean while the little black man is to ashamed to acknowledge how much the little black man has screwed the little black man up the ARRSE.
  5. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

That a game called incest, and best played in the family...don't want social services finding out...
  6. Problem is social service keeps stealing the only radio on the house. a cup of milo anyone?
  7. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

[align=center]How do you get him in a cup???

Dehydrated or liquidised???[/align]
  8. I seem to remember the Chinese being involved in Afrikan revolution since forever. Didn't they have a connection with ANC, Zanu/Zapu and oh so many other terrorist groups in Africa.

Perhaps now they are looking for their reward

9. I prefer.....

10. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

Sitting down discussing Capital (maybe even pushing a few stanza from the little red book) is certainly not equivalent to previously mentioned history re: ARRSE. They'll probably smile wryly as they shake hands with people who might at least be called fellow travellers while whispering 'fair exchange is not theft'. Forget reward, this isn't sports day, its the free market ;)

(mind you then again the western world has Sir Bob and Sir Bono, surely that trumps SWAPO et al's indoctrination :D )
  11. What, were they flogging dodgy DVDs to them as well then sven?
  12. Serving in SL at the moment - the chinese have undertaken numerous visits over here during the past few months. i wonder why?

(edited due to too much Star Beer)
  13. Ah Africans, the best politicians muny can buy.