unsympathetic supervisor where i work

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by Blacklisted, Feb 27, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. hi guys
    im after some advice as to what to do about my supervisor where i work.

when i first applied to join the the TA my supervisor at that time was very supportive about it.but i have been moved to another area and the supervisor here is a second generation irish immigrint and die hard celtic fan so you can guess he totally hates soldiers and the army,

i was given some dates to attend P-coy so i approached him for 5 days off to do the course.

he had a very bad attitude about me asking for time off, he said "cant you do it during the Glasgow fair(summer holidays).

i told him the course wouldnt be running then. and he replied

"well i cant stop you, BUT remember that its very easy for me to find labour at the moment, with things the way they are just now and jobs being so scarce"

im taking it that he meant that if i go on the course id lose my job.
    so it looks like if i want to join 4 para id have to find a new job as this guy is never going to let me have any time off for P-coy or the jump course at brize when its available.

anyone had any dramas like this with their bosses ?
  2. You're entitled to put in holidays at any time you want thats is conveniant with your employer. You dont have to tell them what its for.

Its your holiday entitlement, not free time off.
  3. Tell him the famine is over and he can go home now :) oh and he can go bile his heid as well

hope that helps :D
  4. Have you got a facebook account?

Contact Sabre, they might be able to help, as said above, it is leave or holidays or whatever you civvies call it.

If he does give you the boot, you could always go reg for a bit.
  5. 1) Keep a diary/record of any exchanges like this.
    2) Get advice from SABRE/union etc.
    3) Try to ignore any personal motives he may have, just concentrate on the facts, i.e. any correspondence you may have with him either verbal or written.
    4) Know your rights - and don't be bullied

what you do with your time off is your business - and your line manager should be very wary of making casual threats like that, apart from being unprofessional, they are likely to contravene employment law and backfire on him.

6. Bloke's obviously a knob. Time to give that chubb a wake up call.
    Go over his head and have him sorted then crack on and remember his balls will never compare to yours :wink:
  7. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Are you suggesting that you are the victim of racially or religiously motivated bullying at work? Keep adiary and look for a new job.
  8. looks like you have been getting some good advice here, always remember that there is someone above the supervisor who you should be able to speak to if you have no luck with sabre try citzens advice they might have an anwser or give you some advice
  9. msr

msr LE

And his employer has quite clearly stated that the time he has asked for is not convenient.

Family -> Job -> TA

10. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

His supervisor has told him it's not convenient. There was an implication that this may be because the supervisor is anti-TA. If that is the case it might amount to workplace bullying.

He does, however need to tread carefully as kicking up a fuss may make him SNLR with the company.
  11. Whilst you are in that regard correct, if his supervisor is being delibrately obtuse due to his own personal beliefs, saying it is not convient in order to mess him about, then he has a real case for a grievence.
  12. er no.

a supervisor has said that with racial overtones...

i strongly suspect that said supervisor is not the actual 'Manager' of that work place.
  13. msr

msr LE

At the end of the day, the supervisor is his manager. Whether you like it or not, or agree with it or not.

And none of that should change your priorities.

Good luck trying to convince anyone that there were 'racial overtones' when it is not convenient to the company for him to take leave during the recess.

14. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

Or it could be because he works in an environment that has set shut down periods which is not unusual and more so in today’s climate and would therefore not be convenient.