Unsure about where to go

Hi all. I will soon be going to the careers office to enquire about joining the Army. I still have a few questions and I'd appreciate it if anyone had some insight for me.

I'm 23 now and will most likely be 24 when I join. Would that be too old to apply for a de entry while in the ranks after a few years? Does the age 26 limit still apply to enlisted personal going for de entry? Is it hard to shine among your peers in an infantry setting? Would it be mainly based off fitness?

If someone wanted to pursue further education while in the Army how hard is this to do? I'm not really talking about missing duties or work but does the Army help pay towards someone studying in their own time?(college fees for masters etc)

I have been given advice to look for roles in the army that would have some application for when I finish my service, however I still have a niggly feeling that the infantry is where my heart truly lies. Do injuries make it hard to serve out a career in an infantry regiment? How hard is it to return to ones unit if someone was to get injured badly?(broken leg,arm,hip surgery etc).

Darksider_Lady

Old-Salt
Hi all. I will soon be going to the careers office to enquire about joining the Army. I still have a few questions and I'd appreciate it if anyone had some insight for me.

I'm 23 now and will most likely be 24 when I join. Would that be too old to apply for a de entry while in the ranks after a few years? Does the age 26 limit still apply to enlisted personal going for de entry? Is it hard to shine among your peers in an infantry setting? Would it be mainly based off fitness?

If someone wanted to pursue further education while in the Army how hard is this to do? I'm not really talking about missing duties or work but does the Army help pay towards someone studying in their own time?(college fees for masters etc)

I have been given advice to look for roles in the army that would have some application for when I finish my service, however I still have a niggly feeling that the infantry is where my heart truly lies. Do injuries make it hard to serve out a career in an infantry regiment? How hard is it to return to ones unit if someone was to get injured badly?(broken leg,arm,hip surgery etc).
Can't answer your Infantry questions but on the education side I have included a link to the Standard Learning Credit info site. You can use this money to enhance your general education qualifications and also any professional development qualifications you're interested. You have to apply through your education officer prior to applying for the course but in my experience you rarely get refused. I have a sackful of sports coaching courses that I've done with financial help from the Army. Make the most of what there is on offer once you're in!

https://www.moneyforce.org.uk/Your-career/During-Service/Bounties-bonuses-and-learning-credits/Learning-credits

All very noble though why not enlist in a regiment / corps that you feel you'll enjoy for as much as 20+ years rather than worrying about that far in to the future - you can still set yourself up reasonably well financially (mortgage etc) during your army career if you aren't a complete tablet when it comes to booze, whores & gadgets.

If you look at the physical nick of the majority of SNCOs you'll see it takes a significant toil on your body (most have been on "enduring ops" for 7-12 years though admittedly). However you don't need to remain in a rifle company all your days & can switch to support / HQ coy after a few years.

Badly injured soldiers go through a rehabilitation program so don't worry about having to do OFTs etc immediately after your biff chit runs out; you'll be gradually built up to (near) full physical fitness again should you wish it (which many don't or can't unfortunately).

All very noble though why not enlist in a regiment / corps that you feel you'll enjoy for as much as 20+ years rather than worrying about that far in to the future - you can still set yourself up reasonably well financially (mortgage etc) during your army career if you aren't a complete tablet when it comes to booze, whores & gadgets.

If you look at the physical nick of the majority of SNCOs you'll see it takes a significant toil on your body (most have been on "enduring ops" for 7-12 years though admittedly). However you don't need to remain in a rifle company all your days & can switch to support / HQ coy after a few years.

Badly injured soldiers go through a rehabilitation program so don't worry about having to do OFTs etc immediately after your biff chit runs out; you'll be gradually built up to (near) full physical fitness again should you wish it (which many don't or can't unfortunately).
Great reply, Thank you for taking the time.

Can't answer your Infantry questions but on the education side I have included a link to the Standard Learning Credit info site. You can use this money to enhance your general education qualifications and also any professional development qualifications you're interested. You have to apply through your education officer prior to applying for the course but in my experience you rarely get refused. I have a sackful of sports coaching courses that I've done with financial help from the Army. Make the most of what there is on offer once you're in!

https://www.moneyforce.org.uk/Your-career/During-Service/Bounties-bonuses-and-learning-credits/Learning-credits
I was not aware of this. Thank's a lot for posting that link.

I hope this doesn't sound too walter-mitty ish but I was looking up different roles and I learned that members of the royal engineers could apply to undergo p-coy and aacc. I always had an interest in the parachute regiment. Is it hard to get a place on these courses? Do you have to be a certain rank to do them? Would you get to do the jumps as a sapper having done p-coy? Does your trade choice affect being allowed to do the course? Thank's.

sup rec

LE
Book Reviewer
I hope this doesn't sound too walter-mitty ish but I was looking up different roles and I learned that members of the royal engineers could apply to undergo p-coy and aacc. I always had an interest in the parachute regiment. Is it hard to get a place on these courses? Do you have to be a certain rank to do them? Would you get to do the jumps as a sapper having done p-coy? Does your trade choice affect being allowed to do the course? Thank's.
Any member of any Corps can apply for the courses, male or female. Only a certain percentage of each attached arm to the Para's need to be jump qualified so getting on the course could take a while,

Latest Threads