Unseen connections in the film Alien / Iraq conflict

Carrying over from another thread and the curious analogy of the current situation in Iraq and the film Aliens. Please bear with my pointless, flippant and disrespectful train of thought as follows

You could rerun the film with
:? the colonists as the general population,
:? the bugs/aliens are the insurgents,
:? obviously Brit/US forces are the space marines
and of course it all turns out to be a commercially orientated fcuk up/ fcuk over. :?

The colonists end up impregnated, used and eventually spawn more aliens, most of the marines are bravely lost after going in gung ho, but without the truth and the only solution is to nuke it from orbit? :?

Shame real life is not so easy to sort out, no disrespect to our guys doing a tough job out there, but there is a message in this analogy somewhere? :(

One other thought who amongst the marines could represent the Brit troops as obviously Hudson, Apone & Vasquez must represent our US friends? :? Also what regiment would best be represented by their character? :?

Carter Burke representing government/ big business influence and Lt Gorman every one-pip-wonder or perhaps higher up sending in troops without thinking and then telling them not to fire?

There goes my afternoon pondering the possible connections :x and cue the taglines,

" its as hot as hell.........yeah man but its a dry heat"!

chrisg46

LE
Book Reviewer
far too much time on your hands....

Another glorious day in the Corps,
Every meal a banquet,
Every formation a parade...
I LOVE THE CORPS.

Excellent idea! :D

Hudson: Let's just bug out and call it even, OK?
Ripley: I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. That's the only way to be sure.
Hudson: Fckin' A...
Burke: Ho-ho-hold on one second. This installation has a substantial dollar value attached to it.
Ripley: They can *bill* me. :twisted:

“Seventeen days? Hey man, I don't wanna rain on your parade, but we're not gonna last seventeen hours! Those things are gonna come in here just like they did before. And they're gonna come in here AND THEY'RE GONNA KILL US!”

“HUDSON! This little girl survived longer than that with no weapons and no training.”

“So why don't you put her in fuckin charge?”

I'm sure Newt would be better in charge than the f**kwits who are running the show, Mrs Bush and Blair. :twisted:

Picatinny_Rail said:
“Seventeen days? Hey man, I don't wanna rain on your parade, but we're not gonna last seventeen hours! Those things are gonna come in here just like they did before. And they're gonna come in here AND THEY'RE GONNA KILL US!”

“HUDSON! This little girl survived longer than that with no weapons and no training.”

“So why don't you put her in * charge?”

I'm sure Newt would be better in charge than the f**kwits who are running the show, Mrs Bush and Blair. :twisted:
"Aye-firmative"

THey're comin' outta the goddamn walls!!!!

Always happens on these forums when Aliens is mentioned :):):):)

If you have an Xbox you'll probably have HALO. Go read the first HALO book - First Strike by Eric Nyland.
Replace Covenant with Islamic extremists and it takes on a whole new meaning.
A coalition of ideologically motived races, whos sole mission is our destruction and eradication.
Prepared to use all possible means of killing us even if it results in their own death.....

The movie Aliens was made as a metaphor for Vietnam and the attendant problems of messing with things you know little about. That's what the producer said anyway.

sawdusty said:
The movie Aliens was made as a metaphor for Vietnam and the attendant problems of messing with things you know little about. That's what the producer said anyway.
Blow me down! I always thought it was entertainment designed to make money!

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
trick400 said:
I love aliens, it's even my avatar :):)

Edited
I love Alien: it's even my name backwards.

(Neil A: geddit?)

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
sawdusty said:
So were Starship Troopers and The Forever War. Don't ask me how many times I have read The Forever War. My first edition eventually fell apart, I bought a replacement and discovered that Joe Haldeman had had to rewrite part of it to get it into publication because the publisher felt it made things look too bleak for the old US of A.

Stuff "Aliens", try rereading "Dune" by Frank Herbert. (The original, not his sequels, or those of his estate+ghostwriter)

The planet is called "Arrakis" (hmm...sounds a bit like Iraq) and it produces a natural resource (Spice. Oil?) which is vital to transport within the Empire.

The locals are Sunni (well, Zensunni, nearly) and well up for a fight. And take on the external organisations which turn up to extract said natural resource. And are willing to do the suicide thing in a fight.

Just to cheer everyone up, in the first sequel the locals go on a Jihad and conquer the Empire.

No, it's not a subtle political dig at George W, the book was written in the 1960s...

Mr Happy

LE
Forget Aliens, how about The Three Breasted Whores of Eroticon Six Meat The Cucumber Men. A somewhat slap dash movie I'll admit with some crummy special effects but:

It starts the Cucumber Men (Terrs?) crashing into the planet Eroticon Six (9/11)

Pretty soon the TTBW (Security Forces) are all over the TCM, litterally pis*ing all over them whilst at the same time ******* each other in both holes (Northern Alliance vs Taliban Political statement there I am sure)

Later on, TCM are in prison and TTBW come to perform a serious series of degrading sexual acts upon them including giving and receiving O Levels and the obligatory receiving the good news up the pooper. Abu Gharib I think - I don’t recall any mock execution though there certainly was a lot of shooting)

Mr Happy said:
Forget Aliens, how about The Three Breasted Whores of Eroticon Six Meat The Cucumber Men
Surely a reference to the Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy

As in: Eccentica Gallumbits (the triple breasted whore of Eroticon Six)

And so that he (James Cameron) could shag his leading lady... Oh no, sorry, that was Terminator 2
Said leading lady, Linda Hamilton, later binned Cameron when he was caught shagging Suzy Amis during the making of Titanic - the randy little b@stard.