Unseen connections in the film Alien / Iraq conflict

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by Fiji_Bob, Jun 2, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Carrying over from another thread and the curious analogy of the current situation in Iraq and the film Aliens. Please bear with my pointless, flippant and disrespectful train of thought as follows

You could rerun the film with
    :? the colonists as the general population,
    :? the bugs/aliens are the insurgents,
    :? obviously Brit/US forces are the space marines
    and of course it all turns out to be a commercially orientated fcuk up/ fcuk over. :?

The colonists end up impregnated, used and eventually spawn more aliens, most of the marines are bravely lost after going in gung ho, but without the truth and the only solution is to nuke it from orbit? :?

Shame real life is not so easy to sort out, no disrespect to our guys doing a tough job out there, but there is a message in this analogy somewhere? :(

One other thought who amongst the marines could represent the Brit troops as obviously Hudson, Apone & Vasquez must represent our US friends? :? Also what regiment would best be represented by their character? :?

Carter Burke representing government/ big business influence and Lt Gorman every one-pip-wonder or perhaps higher up sending in troops without thinking and then telling them not to fire?

There goes my afternoon pondering the possible connections :x and cue the taglines,

" its as hot as hell.........yeah man but its a dry heat"!
  2. chrisg46

chrisg46 LE Book Reviewer

far too much time on your hands....
  3. Another glorious day in the Corps,
    Every meal a banquet,
    Every formation a parade...
  4. And a nuke might solve the bug problem.....
  5. Excellent idea! :D

Hudson: Let's just bug out and call it even, OK?
    Ripley: I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. That's the only way to be sure.
    Hudson: Fckin' A...
    Burke: Ho-ho-hold on one second. This installation has a substantial dollar value attached to it.
    Ripley: They can *bill* me. :twisted:
  6. “Seventeen days? Hey man, I don't wanna rain on your parade, but we're not gonna last seventeen hours! Those things are gonna come in here just like they did before. And they're gonna come in here AND THEY'RE GONNA KILL US!”

“HUDSON! This little girl survived longer than that with no weapons and no training.”

“So why don't you put her in fuckin charge?”

I'm sure Newt would be better in charge than the f**kwits who are running the show, Mrs Bush and Blair. :twisted:
  7. "Aye-firmative"
  8. They mostly come at night.

9. THey're comin' outta the goddamn walls!!!!

Always happens on these forums when Aliens is mentioned :):):):)
  10. I love aliens, it's even my avatar :):)

11. If you have an Xbox you'll probably have HALO. Go read the first HALO book - First Strike by Eric Nyland.
    Replace Covenant with Islamic extremists and it takes on a whole new meaning.
    A coalition of ideologically motived races, whos sole mission is our destruction and eradication.
    Prepared to use all possible means of killing us even if it results in their own death.....

12. My thoughts exactly :eek:
  13. The movie Aliens was made as a metaphor for Vietnam and the attendant problems of messing with things you know little about. That's what the producer said anyway.
  14. Blow me down! I always thought it was entertainment designed to make money!
  15. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

And so that he could shag his leading lady... Oh no, sorry, that was Terminator 2