Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unpublished Mike Chappell Artwork (Osprey Men-at-Arms illustrator)

20210109_173029.jpg

From Mike Chappell's collection The British soldier in the 20th Century

While they're probably very good in a collection, and I can't profess to be an artist, that's some horrific drawing.

This is some of his very early work in the Mid '70s. Mike started out doing commissions for Blandford Press (book above, also Uniforms of Waterloo) and the quality was variable.

He very rapidly improved though and by the late '70's his work was superb - Mike was especially good at capturing details of equipment and weaponry, and portraying it as if real people were wearing it.

Osprey's "Big Three" illustrators for much of their heyday were Mike, Angus McBride and Gerry Embleton. Sadly, both Mike and Angus have now passed away and Gerry has recently retired.

IIRC... Gloucestershire Regt in Kenya late 1950's, RA CBRN training BAOR late 1950's early 1960's and TA Inf training, 51st Highland Volunteers 1970's
Well done !

Attachments

• 20210109_181841.jpg
    20210109_181841.jpg
    657.9 KB · Views: 30
  • 20210109_181847.jpg
    20210109_181847.jpg
    777.6 KB · Views: 29
  • 20210109_181850.jpg
    20210109_181850.jpg
    571.2 KB · Views: 29
This is some of his very early work in the Mid '70s. Mike started out doing commissions for Blandford Press (book above, also Uniforms of Waterloo) and the quality was variable.

He very rapidly improved though and by the late '70's his work was superb - Mike was especially good at capturing details of equipment and weaponry, and portraying it as if real people were wearing it.

Osprey's "Big Three" illustrators for much of their heyday were Mike, Angus McBride and Gerry Embleton. Sadly, both Mike and Angus have now passed away and Gerry has recently retired.
The Blandford plate came in a cardboard folder as shown below.

20210109_182147.jpg

QRK2

LE

One of my very first instructors in the TA had nothing good to say about Mike Chappell. I subsequently worked out that Mr Chappell must have been his RSM so I took his views with a bucket of salt.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer

Glad_its_all_over

ADC
Book Reviewer
One of my very first instructors in the TA had nothing good to say about Mike Chappell. I subsequently worked out that Mr Chappell must have been his RSM so I took his views with a bucket of salt.
Interesting. We may have been in similar TA outfits at around the same time, in that case.

Arse Gravy

War Hero
Some excellent attention to detail on those drawings. Am always in awe of work like this as I can't even draw the curtains. I especially like the LRDG chap in the first post with the Green Howards tattoo on his forearm. If I could be bothered it may warrant further investigation.
Screenshot 2021-01-10 at 16.32.02.png

Interesting. We may have been in similar TA outfits at around the same time, in that case.
Possible, but whilst this was in Alfred's Kingdom said instructor (I can't even remember if he was a Cpl or Sgt, let alone his name) was on detached duty.
He was razzer of the Wessex Regiment, early 70's. Does that sound right?

Does the Indian jump out of the aircraft on his dobbin? Like Slim Pickens on the bomb in Dr Starngelove?

Latest Threads