Unpublished Mike Chappell Artwork (Osprey Men-at-Arms illustrator)

I am a big fan of Mike Chappell artwork. For those who do not know him, more here:

Last year, a series of unpublished artwork he produced in the 1980s was sold on eBay. The prices went up very quickly, as one can imagine considering the rarity of his original works and the fact that due to old age he no longer produces.

I managed to save some images, of unequal quality, of some of the plates that were then sold. I will start with a few. If there is interest, I will post more.

1584702075333.jpeg

1584702012126.jpeg

I am a big fan of Mike Chappell artwork. For those who do not know him, more here:

Last year, a series of unpublished artwork he produced in the 1980s was sold on eBay. The prices went up very quickly, as one can imagine considering the rarity of his original works and the fact that due to old age he no longer produces.

I managed to save some images, of unequal quality, of some of the plates that were then sold. I will start with a few. If there is interest, I will post more.

View attachment 457921

View attachment 457920
Where have you been btw? Was it a custodial sentence?

Commando 24, A.K.A Commando Vandenberghe, a French unit composed mostly of turned Vietminh, placed under Adjudant-chef (WO1) Roger Vandenberghe during the war in Indochina.

Vandenberghe is on the left. On 5th of January, 1952, he was killed by one of his Vietnamese subordinates in a mass infiltration operation which led to the quasi destruction of Commando 24.

Before that, he had been highly successful leading commando operations behind enemy lines. A bounty was placed on his head and, as in many other French units composed of turned Vietminh, he was ultimately killed by one of his men who had remained faithful to the Communist cause.

Roger Vandenberghe's brother was also KIA in Indochina, on 6June 1948, in the Tonkin region.

A Commando 24 Vandenberghe.jpg

This composite picture was called "European paratroopers". The French Para is based on LTC Jeanpierre, CO 1er REP, who was KIA on 29 May 1958 in Algeria.

The artist must have based himself on a picture which was often mislabelled as LTC Jeanpierre while it was in fact LTC Mayer from 1er RCP which explains why the character illustrated has the 2 fourragères (laniards) of the 1er RCP, but in the wrong colours (red and light blue and red) instead of the one yellow and green fourragère of the 1er REP and a FFL green beret and 1er REP regimental insignia....

A Paras Européens.jpg

sirbhp

LE
Book Reviewer
very good images and thanks for the topic.

The French Corps Francs (raiding parties) of 1939-1940. Each frontline unit was free to assemble one with volunteers. There is a mistake regarding the aluminium-butt MAS 36 CR 39 rifle of the figure on the left. It was not yet distributed at the time.

Corps Francs.jpg

Latest Threads