Unpaid work training?

Discussion in 'Jobs (Discussion)' started by Pacifist_Jihadist, Feb 16, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have a mate who has gotten a job through the Job Centre and it has dodgy written all over it.

The main issue is that he is having to work for an "Office" for 4 weeks unpaid while he gets trained. This surely can not be right?

Additionally the job description was clearly for general office work, but on the first day he has been informed it is purely a call centre. On top of this he has been given zero training beyond a basic legal briefing, the manager who took the training openly admitted he has no clue how to train people and this shows in the virtual lack of it. As the call centre is currently working for debt collection the fact he has not been trained how to appropriately/respectfully contact debtors or what to do if they become extremely hostile is also very worrying.

He has a meeting on Tuesday with the Job Centre to see how he is getting on. He is going to raise the obvious fact of not being paid and also the other stuff but can anybody offer legislation/comment to prove that they are doing is wrong. Im worried he will be dealing with a Job Centre mong who wont realise the full gravity of what is going on.

Thanks

2. Next call he makes, make sure he tells the debtors that not to worry and then promise, on behalf of the company, that they will not be contacted again.

Pretty sure he will be back on general office duties after that.

3. I would have read the whole post until I reached the bold part (above). Then I just wanted to eat my own head.

4. SausageDog please do go away and give your head a wobble you dull git.

Retd_Crab i like your thinking.

5. Job centre pull stunts like this all the time, my eldest sprog went for an interview with a media company.

Going door to door on spec selling "Love Film" subscriptions, no basic level of pay and you only did get paid if a customer subscribed past the 3 month trial date.

I've also seen a lot of jobs advertised with hours of one hour a week, its a good way for the govt to get the jobless totals down.

6. 'Gotten' is actually old colloquial English and is still used in parts of the country. See also 'ill gotten gains'

Is he able to continue to claim his job seekers allowance during the unpaid training?

A British call centre is a rarity nowadays - You...er your mate should make the most of the training:
    BTW if they become hostile blow a piercing whistle down the phone at them - that'll teach the scutters to fall into debt - the work shy ne'er-do-wells.

7. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

if he pokes the right buttons he can have them blacklisted from the jobcentre data but he should be paid benefits if he is doing unpaid work/training - as soon as he gets a live customer though then he should be on the books if only for legal reasons.

they clearly and deliberately mislabeled the application though and someone should sort it out as its not fair on the applicants.

8. As my mate says A bloke that works for free and a Woman that shags for free will never be out of work. So at least you can be assured that you will never be a doley

9. I was under the impression this type of " forced labour " was now illegal ? I'm sure everryone can remember a few weeks ago the university graduate who got sent to work in Poundland to mop floors otherwise her benefits were stopped took the government to court and the government lost the case and have to repay benefits to unemployed people who lost their benefits for refusing to go on these schemes

That said the government and Labour opposition are forcing legislation through parliament so they don't have to pay out any money and they're trying to change the law back to stopping peoples benefits if they refuse these schemes

I've been unemployed for 6 months but I work two voluntary jobs a week teaching computer skills to computer illiterate mongs one day and doing admin work for the English Speaking Union on Wednesdays so I'm not work shy but these compulsary " Back to work boosts " as they're called are a joke . I did one three years ago via A4E . I've got a degree in film studies and had written 2,000 movie reviews at the IMDb so requested working at a cinema in any capacity even as an usher who collects the tickets so they stuck me in a residential care home run by the Church Of Scotland . My favourite person in the world at that time was Christopher Hitchens so that tells you my views on religion . The residents made Victor Meldrew look like the easiest going bloke on the planet in comparison and the staff were invariably salad dodging lazy bastards who let me do all the crap work while they sat on their arses . How I managed to last 4 weeks withou becoming a Scottish Harold Shipman I'll never know

Last Wednesday I was down the job centre going through an induction process with a dozen other people via a hospitality sector training provider . I was the oldest person there and the second oldest was half my age . I have spent 16 months working at Edinburgh airport 2010-2012 as a kitchen porter but got told during the process that the training provider weren't looking for experienced workers so I wasn't considered for a placement !

Really I'm doing my best to get back in to full time employmet but WTF has someone to do ?

10. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

agencies with their zero hour and umbrella contracts don't help matters - allways tick the paye box or your benefits will suffer.