Unofficial Vosges tour, 26-27 May

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by stoatman, Apr 7, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm thinking of an unofficial tour in the Vosges (pref. southern Vosges, WW1) on the weekend of 26-27 May, and was wondering if anyone else would be interested? Alsacian has already offered to help "fix" some locations & research accommodation.

Worst case, I just go on my own...

I was thinking of arriving Friday evening, touring sat/sun, and returning home Sun evening.

If anyone's interested, let me know.

Cheers,

Stoats

2. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Some suggestions for main sites in the Southern Alsace:

WW1
    AHWK, les amis du hartmannswillerkopf ( Vieil-Armand ) The best preserved battlefield in the area, also has a memorial museum which is rather good.
    Musée Mémorial Le Linge 1914 - 1918. Champ de bataille 1418. Site officiel. Vosges - Alsace - Val d'Orbey Small but well preserved battlefield, also with a museum.
    Bienvenue au Fort de Mutzig, Alsace France Europe Best preserved WW1 fortification on the Western Front

WW2
    Musée Mémorial des Combats de la Poche de Colmar Colmar pocket museum (good place to taste/buy wine too!)
    STRUTHOF, the former Natzweiler concentration camp in Alsace | deportees, deportation and resistance Concentration camp with fencing, towers and some huts still there.

As it is still off season I would suggest to go to the nicest areas to overnight around Riquwihr or Ribeauville, plenty of nice B&B's and excellent food. About 2 weeks notice would normally be enough, but Monday the 28th is a Bank Holiday in France, so earlier would be better.

3. Thanks