• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Unofficial Vosges tour, 26-27 May

I'm thinking of an unofficial tour in the Vosges (pref. southern Vosges, WW1) on the weekend of 26-27 May, and was wondering if anyone else would be interested? Alsacian has already offered to help "fix" some locations & research accommodation.

Worst case, I just go on my own...

I was thinking of arriving Friday evening, touring sat/sun, and returning home Sun evening.

If anyone's interested, let me know.

Cheers,

Stoats

Alsacien

MIA
Some suggestions for main sites in the Southern Alsace:

WW1
AHWK, les amis du hartmannswillerkopf ( Vieil-Armand ) The best preserved battlefield in the area, also has a memorial museum which is rather good.
Musée Mémorial Le Linge 1914 - 1918. Champ de bataille 1418. Site officiel. Vosges - Alsace - Val d'Orbey Small but well preserved battlefield, also with a museum.
Bienvenue au Fort de Mutzig, Alsace France Europe Best preserved WW1 fortification on the Western Front

WW2
Musée Mémorial des Combats de la Poche de Colmar Colmar pocket museum (good place to taste/buy wine too!)
STRUTHOF, the former Natzweiler concentration camp in Alsace | deportees, deportation and resistance Concentration camp with fencing, towers and some huts still there.

As it is still off season I would suggest to go to the nicest areas to overnight around Riquwihr or Ribeauville, plenty of nice B&B's and excellent food. About 2 weeks notice would normally be enough, but Monday the 28th is a Bank Holiday in France, so earlier would be better.

Latest Threads