Unofficial fines scandal in the Danish Army

Discussion in 'Afghanistan' started by Tartan_Terrier, Jul 1, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Here in Denmark at present there is a bit of a scandal involving some NCOs from the Guards who have recently returned from Afghanistan. The whole affair is based on an unofficial fine system, where soldiers were charged up to 500 USD for various offences such as NDs, falling asleep etc. Over 172,000 Danish kroner, or almost 35,000 USD were discovered in a WO2's tent as well as a computer and lists of who owed what.

The fine system was supposedly introduced to avoid any official charges, and the money was allegedly going into a 'company kitty' for a party on their return. While this may sound okay, there have been allegations that soldiers who refused to pay were threatened with getting all the dangerous tasks on patrols.

The whole affair came to light after a British soldier complained about being charged 200 USD by the Danes for falling asleep.

Here are a couple of articles badly translated by Google:

Google Oversæt

Google Oversæt
  2. do pass go, do not collect £200 go directly to jail
  3. I see that Danish Colonel, Col Lennie Fredskov called the matter a "Real Møgsag".

Looks serious then.
  4. Would be a bloody fantastic return from tour party with 35,000 in the kitty to pay for it, though.
  5. Its only about £20,000. I reckon that's about what the average tom spends on alcohol during POTL anyway.
  6. A bit of a twat keeping it in his tent me thinks.
  7. You always get one. The one who would rather get charged by 252 from the CO for an offence, which could end up being very expensive, rather than just getting a crate in. Only fair, if that Brit would have got to go to the party at the end as well