Unnecessary Fear

Discussion in 'Infantry' started by jimmydean, Feb 18, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I was wondering if i could get some advice about a pretty stupid concern of mine. I'm 22 years old and since leaving school i've always had a sort of deep down yearning to join the army, specifically the infantry, it's just the way of life, the comradery and the knowledge that you're actually part of something worthwhile that draws my interest.

Now for the stupid part, barely a week goes by without the sad news of another soldier killed in helmand usually by ied attack. The fact that it's so hard to determine where and when one of these things may go off terrifies me to the point where i'm just unsure whether to go for it or not, i guess i'm just looking for anyone who had the same feelings before/after joining up and how they 'dealt' with it. I know it's a bit stupid but i'm just interested in peoples feelings towards the issue.

If i decide to just say fcuk it i'll be applying to join the PWRR hopefully in 2nd btn as light role. Thankyou for anything you can add (good or bad) and thankyou all for serving. Cheers.

2. "Courage is not the absence of fear, just the judgement that something else is more important"- ? Not sure who said that.

Only you can decide whether the army is for you however most soldiers will feel fear, IED's and the threat of death from the nasties out there is part of the job sadly

3. Why are you yearning to be part of something? Don't your family want anything to do with you anymore?

Your right, it does sound stupid, why not just pop down to your local ACRO.

4. You can get knocked down crossing the road.

Join up you`ll not reget it.

5. I'm sure you've heard the saying "you only live once"

Depends on what you want from the life, yes its hard in certain areas but they're are perks, the Royal Marines get a free holiday upto some Helmand area where we all pretend we are doing some good and sometimes we even get to kill people! Raise your glass mate, he's in a better place! 8O

6. Yeah a few people have mentioned the fact that just as many people if not more die in road accidents etc it's just not shoved in your face so much. In reference to being part of something i guess it's just that most of the jobs here in civilian life are shite and offer no real sense of being or enjoyment, but i'm sensing you meant that in jest or you're just a cruel man haha.

7. No, in fact MORE people die in road accidents, and thats fact, and thats not to say civvie jobs are shite, imagine being a prostitute? We all enjoy sex don't we?

8. Actually out of morbid curiosity i checked and you're right, around 3000 a year. Haha ok i'll rephrase it as civvy jobs that don't include the accumulation of STD's and a pricey smack habit.

9. Not by percentage of population they don't. Fcuking stupid statement.

Reality is that you are joining an Army that is actively involved in being shot at and you are talking about joining the guys that get shot at the most. So yes, you're chances of being aimed at are pretty good.

So what? The grunts do it day in and day out and I'm pretty sure they don't consult the statistics before they go out an soldier. They just do it because they are fcuking good at what they do.

Want a safe job? Aim towards a Subway franchise. Want to know what the guys you say you admire feel like? Join and find out,

You can read about experience but will never know how you will react until you experience it yourself and there is only one way to do that.

10. Couldn't put it better myself!!

11. OK Jimmydean, face your fear and realise that there is nothing to fear but fear itself. Anyone who says thay have no fear, has no imagination and therefore has restricted ability to make decisions necessary to keep themselves safe. Fear is healthy, but being obsessed with fear is not. You want to spend the rest of your life in mediocrity? Or will you join up and live a life you could not have imagined. Toss a coin.

12. Thanks for the words of wisdom guys, to be honest i fully expected complete mockery knowing the squaddie sense of humour all too well but the advice given has given me a new found inspiration to just stop dicking around and go for it.

13. Good lad! Now stop bein a spaz knobead!! :D

14. And fu ckingwell get on with it. Report back when you are in.

15. Command_doh

Command_doh LE Book Reviewer

Don't change your opinion every time someone different tells you something, otherwise you will be umming and arrring whether to quit basic if it gets a bit tough. Make a decision, stick with it and have the courage of your convictions.

Good luck.