Unload dril GPMG (& LMG...real & toy)

Discussion in 'The Lamp and Sandbag II - The Tall Story Strikes B' started by CertainKindOfFool, Jun 10, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Years ago an American soldier asked me why we cock the gun before we remove the belt, as a cocking handle slip could fire a round.
    Didn't know then, don't know now. Even more mystifying is the cock then remove mag on both LMGs compare with remove mag then cock on SLR & L85 (SMG & pistol too for that matter).
    Please note I'm not asking what the correct drill is, I know that, but why it is.
    All I can think of is to ensure the working parts are to the rear whether you've already cocked it or not and I can't see that really matters.
    Asked here 'cos it's probably a matter of history.
    edit - Cock isn't always a dirty word y'know.

2. No, but "job" is.

Hat, coat, taxi!

3. Agree, i'd like to know.

Surely common sense would be to remove any ammo feed, then to c0ck the gun.

The only reason I can think of is to give the barrel that extra moment or two of cooling time with the working parts locked to the rear or perhaps to stop a round cooking off in an already hot barrel if the primer fails.

4. So you can check the breach for any rounds/split cases still there before putting fresh belt on. Cocking handle slip won't fire any rounds still in there.

The difference between GPMG and SLR/L85 etc is that cocking those will feed a round. Cocking a gun does not.

Something like that anyway.

I'm probably wrong, but I'm old and I'm allowed to be senile.

Awaiting correction by a SAA cassette head.

5. It might not cock a round, not claiming it does, just seems an arrse about face way of unloading and dealing with stoppages.

6. I thought it was to impart habit. That way the gunner always cocked the gun as to keep the working parts to the rear.

The 1st movement for anything regarding the GPMG was 1st - c ock the gun

7. Because it's a more fluid movement? A battlefield drill that saves time and which, when adopted for peacetime range work has not(?) caused safety issues.

Think of the drills with the SA80 that are done with the safety off, yet with the SLR required the safety to be on - maybe because putting the safety on and off on an SLR involved a flick of the thumb (left hand when training) and thus didn't affect speed.

Just a thought.

8. Now I've had time to think about it.

Right, with the working parts forward the top of the bolt, with the feed horns presses upon the bottom of the 1st round, therfore depressing the feed pawls in the top cover.

Also, when loading a belt, it is easier to do it with the parts to the rear as the bolt etc is out of the way and gives the gunner a better chance of lining the round up with the feed stop as it will drfop into the gap slightly.

9. Every..............
    Dame.............
    Loves.............
    My.................
    Hard..............
    Dick..............

Come on you Gimpy spotters fill in the blank spaces!

10 points to the first person with the correct answer.

10. My thoughts too

11. Cocking the gun first breaks the mechanical lock, brings the feed horns to the rear ready for the next round being placed against the loading block changes the direction of movement of the feed pawls as the rearward movement does not cause the wobbly bit in the top to move as the actuating stud is depressed, or something like that.

12. I thought it also ensured that the GPMG was cocked onto the full sear and not the safety sear.

I do dimly remember someone talking about avoiding cook-offs (especially in SF/AA role).

You would also need to cock the gun to change barrels as well IIRC.

13. If I remember rightly. The safety cannot be applied with the working parts forward. The GPMG has to be cocked to the rear for the sear to rise and engage on the full bent. Then the safety can be applied. (Remember you had to squeeze the trigger before assembly). As mentioned already the 1st IA is to cock the weapon. If the working parts are forward it give you some idea as to what the next action might be. i.e. gas stoppage, etc. or surprise no rounds!!! So why not cock it?

Go on tell us, nark! Please.

The taxi's still waiting!!!

14. E - Expended belt
    D - Damaged round
    L - Live round misfed due to damaged link (unsure)
    M - Misfired round
    H - Hard extraction
    D - Damaged link

Do I win?

15. Well done 10 points to that Grenadier!