Unlimited Power

Discussion in 'The Science Forum' started by Chromodynamix, Apr 25, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. (Phys.org) -- Physicists have discovered a possible solution to a mystery that has long baffled researchers working to harness fusion. If confirmed by experiment, the finding could help scientists eliminate a major impediment to the development of fusion as a clean and abundant source of energy for producing electric power.

Physicists see solution to critical barrier to fusion

It's to do with impurities in the plasma creating islands of instability which reduces the density needed for fusion.
    They intend to see if injecting power directly into the islands will lead to higher density. If so, that could help future tokamaks reach the extreme density and 100-million-degree temperatures that fusion requires.

The pessimists say we won't see commercial fusion power for 50 years. I believe in 5 years we will see continuous fusion power operating and ten years, commercial power stations. They won't be cheap, but they will be virtually pollution free.
    ITER - the way to new energy
  2. Pah saw a documentary last night with a cololnial chap with self sustaining reactor in his chest.
    Stark was his name I think. Odd chap even for a foreign fellow.
  3. In the unlikely event of a breach in the Tokomak reactor, caused by ice cream or a bomb, only a few grams of Tritium would be released, which would rapidly disperse into the upper atmosphere with no danger at all.
  4. Good. I want my own personal reactor. And the sooner the better.
  5. Are they available in kit form for self-assembly?
  6. Off the shelf!

7. How on Earth do you even contain temperatures like that though? Or do we go from alive to atoms in 0.00000001ms once they activate it?
  8. It's got a Cryostat, mate. Keep up.