Unlimited Boldness

Does anyone by any chance know where I could pick up or perhaps even have a copy of "Mad" Jack Churchill's biography by R. King Clark? It was called "Unlimited Boldness" and is now out of print. Not even the British Library seem to have a copy! It's only 25 pages apparently but I'd love a read. Any pointers would be much appreciated.

wedge_cadman

War Hero
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
you could try this US site.. cost $8

Linky

The ISBN is 1-873907-06-0, but over 100 on-line sites say "uh-uh!"...

Captain George Henderson btw...what a man...VC, DSO and Bar, MC and five mentions...killed in 1920 in the Arab Revolt aged 26.

Cuddles said:
Just a thought, have you tried the Manchesters Museum?

Manchester Regiment Museum
The Town Hall,
Market Place,
Ashton-under-Lyne,
OL6 6DL

Tel: 0161 342 2254

Fax: 0161 342 2869

Email:
garry.smith1@tameside.gov.uk

Web:
www.tameside.gov.uk/museumsgalleries/mom

Thanks for that, I'll give them a try. Should be able to find it somewhere surely!

A lot of 'characters' in the Manchesters. I wonder if they carry on that tradition with the Kingos :D

Andy_S

LE
Book Reviewer
If you DO get hold of a copy, perhaps you'd be good enough to answer this question:
Churchill (though an Englishman) routinely carried a Scottish claymore into battle. Did he ever actually use it on Jerry?

And (for anyone else): If he did, would that be the last combative use of a sword by a British soldier?

Cuddles said:
Captain George Henderson btw...what a man...VC, DSO and Bar, MC and five mentions...killed in 1920 in the Arab Revolt aged 26.
Does anyone know any details of Capt Henderson's Ww1 service? I googled his name but was able to find little besides his VC citation (awarded posthumously for his actions in Iraq in 1920).

Andy_S said:
If you DO get hold of a copy, perhaps you'd be good enough to answer this question:
Churchill (though an Englishman) routinely carried a Scottish claymore into battle. Did he ever actually use it on Jerry?

And (for anyone else): If he did, would that be the last combative use of a sword by a British soldier?
I think he carried a broadsword, but he certainly had a bow and arrows and killed a couple of Germans in France in 1940. Probably the last recorded use of the long bow in warfare.

I believe he crawled out across no man's land to retrieve the arrows, because they were too expensive to abandon.

The last British charge was made just two months* later by Capt. Arthur Sandeman and 60 Sikh horsemen mounted on short Burmese horses of the Burma Field Force. They blundered into a force of entrenched Japanese soldiers and were repulsed after taking heavy losses. Capt Sandeman was killed with his saber in hand.

*March 1942, Burma

If not Mad Jack, a possible candidate?