Unlimited Boldness

Discussion in 'The Book Club' started by MCube, May 24, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Does anyone by any chance know where I could pick up or perhaps even have a copy of "Mad" Jack Churchill's biography by R. King Clark? It was called "Unlimited Boldness" and is now out of print. Not even the British Library seem to have a copy! It's only 25 pages apparently but I'd love a read. Any pointers would be much appreciated.

2. wedge_cadman

wedge_cadman War Hero Reviewer Book Reviewer

you could try this US site.. cost $8

Linky

3. The ISBN is 1-873907-06-0, but over 100 on-line sites say "uh-uh!"...

4. Captain George Henderson btw...what a man...VC, DSO and Bar, MC and five mentions...killed in 1920 in the Arab Revolt aged 26.

5. Thanks for that, I'll give them a try. Should be able to find it somewhere surely!

A lot of 'characters' in the Manchesters. I wonder if they carry on that tradition with the Kingos :D

6. Andy_S

Andy_S LE Book Reviewer

If you DO get hold of a copy, perhaps you'd be good enough to answer this question:
    Churchill (though an Englishman) routinely carried a Scottish claymore into battle. Did he ever actually use it on Jerry?

And (for anyone else): If he did, would that be the last combative use of a sword by a British soldier?

7. Does anyone know any details of Capt Henderson's Ww1 service? I googled his name but was able to find little besides his VC citation (awarded posthumously for his actions in Iraq in 1920).

8. I think he carried a broadsword, but he certainly had a bow and arrows and killed a couple of Germans in France in 1940. Probably the last recorded use of the long bow in warfare.

I believe he crawled out across no man's land to retrieve the arrows, because they were too expensive to abandon.

9. The last British charge was made just two months* later by Capt. Arthur Sandeman and 60 Sikh horsemen mounted on short Burmese horses of the Burma Field Force. They blundered into a force of entrenched Japanese soldiers and were repulsed after taking heavy losses. Capt Sandeman was killed with his saber in hand.

*March 1942, Burma

If not Mad Jack, a possible candidate?