"Unlawful Killing" verdict on RIR soldier

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by OldSnowy, Mar 12, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

This just in:

"A soldier shot in the head at a live fire training range in Pembrokeshire, was unlawfully killed, an inquest jury found today. Ranger Michael Maguire, a member of 1st Battalion, The Royal Irish Regiment, died after being hit by machine gun fire at the Castlemartin range in Pembrokshire on May 2 last year. He was hit in the temple by a single bullet fired by a fellow soldier while he was relaxing in an apparently secure location just outside the training range. The shot is believed to have come from a training exercise about 1km away. An inquest in Cardiff today found that Ranger Maguire, originally from Cork, Ireland, had been unlawfully killed after hearing more than two weeks' worth of evidence."

A verdict of unlawful killing is Serious Business. Do I feel the breeze caused by a hundered pucking parts in Warminster and elsewhere?

And whatever the outcome, a desperately sad story that is bad news for everyone involved, especially the family of Rgr Maguire.
    • Like Like x 2
  2. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

Indeed, very sad.

Just to remind the assembled masses that this is part of an ongoing investigation so a. don't offer up speculative sacrifices to the media, let them work for their information; and b. if you happen to know the ins and outs, keep it for the investigation.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Don't they have accidental death anymore or does someone have to be blamed for everything these days?

Just curious. Unlawfully killed implies someone did it on purpose.

(I confirm that I have no connection with the case, know nothing about any ins and outs and am just expressing an opinion)
  4. IF the reporting is correct then the verdict MAY be correct. (Hedging bets there)
  5. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

I imagine that there must be a possibility of negligence being central to the case, which might have criminal implications. It doesn't mean it was done on purpose.

• Like Like x 2