Unlawful death verdict for Soldier killed in Afghanistan

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Ravers, Jul 10, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

http://www.thisisdevon.co.uk/news/Troops-deserve-better/article-1151279-detail/article.html

I doubt this will have any impact on the equipment currently used, but interesting none the less.

2. Ravers

3. He's got a cob on cause his son died, though I can hardly blame him for that. Would he bother if it was anybody else's son?

It is a fact that soldiers die in battle. We can't wrap ourselves up in cotton wool completely.

4. Ravers

I agree it is inevitable that there will be casualties in any conflict, but it is fairly interesting that the Coroner has delivered this verdict.

5. I think people get a bit confused about these verdicts and the associated statements by Coroners. It is not the kit that makes it unlawful, it is the detonation of the IED.

This whole situation is becoming a bit daft, soldiers are being killed during operations and then it is being processed like a punch up in Hackney. What a waste of time and effort, no-one is ever going to be put on trial for these deaths.

This has all come about due to bodies being repatriated rather than buried in theatre.

6. Yes. A civvy coroner that wouldn't know his arse from his elbow when it comes to war fighting. He should stick to dealing with RTA victims.

7. Jack Sadler was operating with the BRF. The whole nature of the job requires travelling light with a high degree of mobility. All the helicopters and Mastiffs in the world wouldn't have saved him because they would not have been right for the task, the best body armour in the world wouldn't have saved him, it's even unlikely that a Jackal would have saved him.
    Sometimes it needs to be acknowledged that sometimes you just get unlucky.

8. For the life of me I can't get to grips with these PMs and coroners verdicts. If it is a clear case of enemy action then that is it, you don't need a coroner to investigate surely. It is not the vehicles or the MODs fault. Would you have the same verdict if someone gets killed in a Chally? We can't get any more armoured than that. Our guys are getting killed due to enemy action whether you are dismounted or in the most heavily armoured vehicle. Its getting stupid, unlawful killing my ARRSE, why don't they go and arrest the Taliban. Then you have the same problem with giving the insurgents full protection under international law and idiots back home calling for investigations into human rights abuses against them. So it looks like they are affording them protection as a legitimate military force, to conclude it was not death due to unlawful means but to legitimate enemy action. Im confused.

9. Terrorism is NOT legitimate military action but effectively a war crime, by acknowledging our soldiers are being killed by a bunch of criminals, you underline the fact that these extermist scum have no legitimacy.

Do not ever make the mistake of giving these murdering terrorist vermin any succour. It is bad enough the media lables them "Insurgents" or "Militants" (As if they are on a picket line!). They are illegal combatants hence the correct verdict of unlawful killing.

They should hang.