Unknown Warrior

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by old_n_fat, May 7, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. mercurydancer

mercurydancer LE Book Reviewer

I too share that doubt about how far we should probe.

I think it was the Devonshire Regiment who have the Mametz memorial saying " The Devonshires held this trench. They hold it still" which is about as definitive a comment as to why a mass grave should be left alone as I can think of.

I am often a visitor to France to a favourite spot, and close by is Etaples Military cemetery. I never drive past wthout visiting the cemetery. I have seen in recent years some photographs of the fallen, laminated and placed on the headstone. It transformed the people who lay beneath into people I could identify with. I found it both fascinating and respectful. It did mean that they were not forgotten, despite the decades since thier death. If it means that the people of today remember and respect the military then I'm for it.
  2. I agree with both of you, but they are building a new cemetary for them so they will still all be together. I know it will cost but its a price worth paying. A recent Documentry followed a similar case and an elderly lady was able to lay a close relative to rest. It was very moving and some dust got in my eye.
  3. There are certanly many more undiscoverd graves out there, thats for sure. All that death man, just to please a few men in grey suits :!:
  4. Yes, the memorial stone is at the entrance to the Devonshire's Cemetery on the Somme. It is a mass grave, however, it is maintained by the CWGC and as such, is a very fitting memorial in itself.

It's an interesting place as you can see the lay of the land towards Fricourt, one of their objectives. More here.
  5. I have spent much time in the areas of the battles of WW1 and it still moves me to see the large numbers of cemetaries.

Whilst I do think it tragic that there are many of these soldiers who have not had the dignity of a named burial, will identifying them now, nearly a century after these men gave their lives, really make any difference? My Grandfather and Great Uncle have both been in 'unknown' graves for the last 93 years, one in France, one in Iraq. Both are commemorated on memorials where they died, that I have been priveleged enough to visit. I would rather that their remains are undisturbed, even if they are officially unknown.

Would it not be better to use these funds to benefit those that currently coping with physical and psychological injuries one hundred years after the War To End All War?
  6. A few years ago an Aunt was informed that a relative of hers had been 'found' in Northern France, apparently when someone was digging some foundations for a house. There were no remains, just some form of ID. Even so it was weirdly emotional and they went from MIA presumed killed to KIA.

They were 'added' to the nearest mil cemetary.