Unknown RLC Cloth Badge

[align=center]
[/align]

Does anybody know what this Round Embroidered RLC Cloth Badge is used for?

Not an Officers Bullion Beret Badge or any of the Square Embroidered Other Ranks Beret Badges of the 90's

Was shown an example at a Militria Fair in March, and took this photo with my camera phone, but with no explanation where it came from, or what it is used for.

Or indeed if anybody has one to spare?

Is it an early Royal Army Service Corps badge, from around the time that the "Royal" was added? Perhaps a blazer badge or something?

RASC, or "Run Away Someone's Coming", as mentioned by Fletcher (Ronnie Barker) in the "Porridge" TV series. :?:

If so, Why does it say 'WE SUSTAIN' in the scroll? and have the Ordnance Arms in the middle, and look identical to the RLC Badge

Lot smaller than a blazer badge, in fact the photo is a little over-sized.

B

Bottleosmoke

old_rat said:
Is it an early Royal Army Service Corps badge, from around the time that the "Royal" was added? Perhaps a blazer badge or something?

RASC, or "Run Away Someone's Coming", as mentioned by Fletcher (Ronnie Barker) in the "Porridge" TV series. :?:
Wah?

When we first became the RLC we were issued with one square cloth embroidered RLC capbadge as the original metal ones were rocking horse dump....wore mine for three years till forced to wear a binlid!!

Never had a probelm getting the metal one however at 1Gs had to have a cloth one downside was after a bit they got grubby looking mind you never stopped me wearing it up until I de-kitted :p

We were originally told it was sta-brite badges for in camp and cloth badges for the field. This made total sense to me, which is probably the main reason it was stopped.

skintboymike said:
We were originally told it was sta-brite badges for in camp and cloth badges for the field. This made total sense to me, which is probably the main reason it was stopped.
There was also the duty rumour that the cloth square badge was something to do with H&S for the fat splashers as the original stay-brite badge was basically 2 badges glued together and it was a hygiene trap if worn behind a servery.

More likely it was just a case of no coherent dress policy = gash practice and everyone doing their own thing until told otherwise.

The bagde is a trials version. A version in plain yellow was also trialled.

qman said:
Mike I've got 3 of them you can have them for £3.47 each!
:D Oh goodie, send them to the same address you didn't send the 7 Regt patch to :wink:

old_rat said:

Did you even look at the badge before answering??

I agree with Emptyeye. I've seen these on cadet's berets (Shropshire or Staffordshire ACF I think.) We have really nasty embroidered WFR cap badges.

Thanks Emptyeye & Pitster, That ties in with something else I heard.

As to the badge being a 1993ish prototype, it had a different feel than the 'square' beret badges, and a more superior finish. But then again it may have been rejected for bulk issue on cost!

I will be keeping my eye's open on RLC Open Day for one!

It does indeed look like a manufacturers sample, we received various different shapes, colours and sizes when we were looking into suppliers for our cloth "field" badges.

Latest Threads