Unknown Brit Troops In Hospital

What the eyes don't see...
I think until this I still had some faith in the way the MoD treats it's soldiers, but now I'm not so sure. Anyone with their head screwed on knows there are injuries, but to have an inaccurate line from the MoD on such an important situation (for the public anyway) is worrying

Absolutely shocking. Another point which has been raised on here before is to enquire about the notable absence of any visits to see the wounded by either senior politicians .... or dare I say it, the Royal Family. Certainly if they have happened I've yet to see it well publicised.

I understand that there have been several private Royal visits.

The government and the MOD have lied about the casualty statistics on a number of occasions; I would therefore not be surprised if they are now attempting to cover up details of the severity of injuries to suit their agenda. No different, I suppose, to the 'peace in our time' nonsense they are spinning in NI.

Chaz

Old-Salt
:x Gone are the days when all returned as heroes, especially the wounded - e.g. Falklands

Dr Reid said at the time: "I am pleased to say that they are being treated for minor injuries only and are expected to return to duty shortly."
The soldier suffered 37% burns-how can this be classified as minor injury?

Terrible, but then are we surprised the Goverment (nue labour) are keeping these things quiet... anything that doesent fit into their programme or is likely to upset it is either swept under the carpet or legislated against (Cenopath Protest to name but one....)

Good luck Karl and wishes for a speedy recovery, same wishes go to all

Northern Monkey said:
Dr Reid said at the time: "I am pleased to say that they are being treated for minor injuries only and are expected to return to duty shortly."
This must join the list of Labour ministerial untruths, alongside 45 minute WMDs and the risible guff about Telic medals.

I vaguely know this guys family in passing (lives round the corner) and knew of his injuries a while back. What I didn't know was the absolute fcuking lies that the MOD had told. I'm still trying to get my head around whether it is a good or a bad thing that I have never heard of his family moaning about the treatment he has received from the military, or more specifically the MOD spin doctors.

Not the sort of question I really want to ask either, I just hope that Karl has a speedy recovery.

In the States we have several non-profit groups that assist our wounded soldiers/sailors/marine and airmen. If our guys need toiletries, reading material you name it people start some type of fund raising to help out. If you dont have an organization like that maybe arrse could fill that role. It would be a great way to get vets, wives of serving soldiers or just interested civies to make a contribution of time to make life a little easier for Britain's wounded hero's.

While the deaths of 98 servicemen in Iraq has been well documented, the military has been at pains to say little of those who have received crippling injuries. More than 4,000 have been flown home for medical treatment though the MoD insists the majority were people who had fallen ill.
Does anyone have any idea of the break down of the reasons these 4,000 servicemen have been flown home? Could it be that the majority that were taken ill, were ill due to wounds becoming infected?

TH

Trophy_Hunter said:
While the deaths of 98 servicemen in Iraq has been well documented, the military has been at pains to say little of those who have received crippling injuries. More than 4,000 have been flown home for medical treatment though the MoD insists the majority were people who had fallen ill.
Does anyone have any idea of the break down of the reasons these 4,000 servicemen have been flown home? Could it be that the majority that were taken ill, were ill due to wounds becoming infected?

TH
I imagine its similar to our experience - accidents/ill and enemy action. Accidents take almost as bad a toll as enemy action.

tomahawk6 said:
In the States we have several non-profit groups that assist our wounded soldiers/sailors/marine and airmen. If our guys need toiletries, reading material you name it people start some type of fund raising to help out. If you dont have an organization like that maybe arrse could fill that role. It would be a great way to get vets, wives of serving soldiers or just interested civies to make a contribution of time to make life a little easier for Britain's wounded hero's.
There are specific provisions for hospital welfare for UK military, with full time staff in the hospitals. Rightly, this augments the unit's support. Some voluntary agencies provide things like TVs, days out and so on. There is probably a greater need for support after the wounded have left hospital - the current arrangements are hopeless.

Trophy_Hunter said:

TH
This came up on ARRSE before and I think the result was that the MOD claims it does not keep those kind of records.

T6, or any American poster - Do you have any idea on the ratio of deaths to serious injuries in the American Army? We know there have been 100 British deaths...

Tricam.

Why are people surprised by this, TB & his coholt have lied or miss informed all of us since Telic began, this is just one more example.

I think we need to view the original reports in context. Karls' injuries have been described by a colleague as appearing very serious (lips melted off, etc), yet the same injuries have been desribed by the Gov as 'minor'

The truth must lie somewhere between these two views.

Has anyone tried to obtain information about one of the blokes from a hospital ? Due to 'medical confidentiality' they cannot go into detail, which is why journalists rely on the opinion of family/friends, often inaccurate.

I'm not supporting the Gov position on this, but we need the facts, not the opinion of mates who catch a glimpse of the injured blokes and tell a journo all about it in the pub.

Goose Rider-good point, but the fact that they guy was still in hospital at the time of the incident kinda suggests his injuries were a bit worse than Dr Reid's suggestion. If 37% burns is the correct figure.... minor? Probably closer to life threatening when they occurred?
I think the hidden meaning behind this thread is the disgust felt at the govt's downplaying of casualies, and the lack of political recognition.

A few points

Firstly 37% burns, especially if it involves head, neck or face is a serious injury and should not be dismissed as "minor". Now it might well be there was confusion about the extent of the soldiers injuries at the time but a statement clarifying the situation once more detail was known would have been appropriate.

Second point, I was contacted some time ago by a producer from one of the main TV channels. The guy got my name from another media chap who knows I was on Telic in the medical side of things. He wanted to do a program on soldiers who had been injured in Iraq and wanted my help. I was unable to help him for a number of reasons. Firstly as a reservist and back in my civi job I had no direct current contact with any of the injured, and secondly (and much more importantly) any disclosure on my part would have been a huge breach of patient confidentiality and was therefore a non-starter. I was not offended by this guy's approach and it was clear he had no axe to grind against the army, MOD or the government, he felt there was a human story that should be told. This type of program has been done before with injured soldiers (with their consent) from NI and the Falklands War (Simon Weston being a classic example). These have been compelling viewing and were done professionally and above all sensitively. I think the public should see the injuries and suffering their armed forces suffer when sent to war so they have at the very least some understanding of what price is being paid by soldiers on their behalf. So why was this producer approaching people like me? Because he'd asked the MOD for their help and they had refused point blank.

Lastly, with the exception of a handful of programs illustrating the injured as mentioned above, how different is any of this to what has gone on before. Having served in NI I know that seriously injured soldiers had hardly a mention in the day to day news stories in mainland UK. Its wrong becasue joe public are ignorant of the real facts which is the MOD were wrong to turn away a TV producer to wanted to tell the soldier's stories.

tricam said:
Trophy_Hunter said:

TH
This came up on ARRSE before and I think the result was that the MOD claims it does not keep those kind of records.

T6, or any American poster - Do you have any idea on the ratio of deaths to serious injuries in the American Army? We know there have been 100 British deaths...

Tricam.
Tricam, you may want to try this site, does not include UK servicemen and women but does include US Forces and contractors of all nationalities.
http://icasualties.org/oif/default.aspx
I'll need to be a bit careful here, but everything is played down. If you were TB or GWB you could hardly defend pulling troops out when there is still a sh*t kicking conflict on going.

Latest Threads