UNIX Advise

Discussion in 'Hardware - PCs, Consoles, Gadgets' started by The_Big_Floater, Jan 9, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Guys, I need a bit of help, I want to run a UNIX OS on my Laptop (Windows 7) so I can learn how to use the UNIX codes. i am doing a bit of self teach... And have a few books to help with this but I am struggling to get a UNIX platform to carry this out.

Does anyone on here know of a good system that I can use that wont effect the normal operations of my machine but is quite user friendly to set up and run.

Cheers TBF

2. Try Ubuntu linux ( "Get Ubuntu".) It gives you the option of making a LiveCD, so you can boot off the CD and play around without using the hard drive at all. You will need to install it properly to explore all of it, but I think you have the option of dynamically resizing your existing partitions, so no change to your working system.

EDIT: And, of course, has the reputation of being the least user-unfriendly linux distro.

3. Cheers, I will take a peak at this see if it will help... Thanks .

4. msr

msr LE

5. If you want to go down the virtualisation route (which is very handy for messing around with new OS' and I'd completely forgotten), consider Virtualbox. Free, and I've yet to find an OS that doesn't work on it (ironically enough, OpenSolaris took the most work...)

6. 1. Set up a Virtual Machine(VM) - VirtualBox
    2. Download a CentOS .iso - www.centos.org - The Community ENTerprise Operating System
    3. Install CentOS on your VM

Ubuntu is fine for playing about with in a non-serious "what's all this Linux stuff?" fashion, but you're going to need something a bit more industrial strength if you're planning to use Linux (not UNIX) in any sort of non-trivial capacity. CentOS is the Open Source version of Red Hat Enterprise Server, but with all the branding stripped out.

You won't need to faff about with drive resizing or set up multi-booting on your lappy either as the guest OS runs inside the VM and the VM runs on Windows. You can also add new VMs without disturbing your existing ones - OpenSolaris and OpenBSD being two distros that could be argued are closer to true UNIX than Linux.

7. I agree CentOS is perfect...if you use more user-friendly they tend to have large amounts of features removed from them. However I'm more favourable of VMWare Server

Plus a virtual machine is definitely the way to go...it wont affect anything you do on your computer currently and can be opened/closed at will.

8. Guys,

Thanks one and all there are plenty of options, basically I will be taking on a new job and part of the criteria is to understand and use LINUX/UNIX, although you are taught there, it has been put to me that it would be better to have a basic understanding of the system, so to allow me to do this I am looking at running a virtual system that won't effect the running of my normal PC. Also (hoping a tuturial to take me through parts f the system, ie codes etc.

Is there anything of this nature or is it a case of download one of the ones already mentioned and buy a few books on my kindle to run through this and try it out.

Cheers for the response guys, all info is greatly appreciated. ARRSE does have it's uses ;)

9. msr

msr LE

Just google to your heart's content :)

10. Linux it'self is pretty basic as long as you don't go into the whole using bash commands/scripts
    Personally I've found it easier to designate myself tasks to do on Linux as opposed to just learning commands from a book...it also depends very highly on what type of work you will be doing with Linux...if you let us know I can direct you to some good tasks to try out.

11. Having advise from the experts helps, so I don't end up with complete crap on my system and books far too advanced at this stage, cheers anyway MSR

12. Having messed about with ubuntu since about 2008 i would recommend that the new 10.10 version is very good and id be supprised if you didnt switch completly. I now hate using windows because its a pain in the arse. You do come across problems but with advice its very easy to sort out.
    Good luck i hope you find what you need.

13. Okay, if you have had anything to do with GLOBAL, a supply chain based system, it works around the LINUX based system. Primarily the job will be to troubleshoot GLOBAL and other software but also be able to use script to improve the systems etc.... I am keen to understand them before i start so that the task will be simpler when I take up the new position.

14. Do you know which linux system it is based on?

15. I'll find out and get back to you J20gU3