University Bursuary

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Officer Recruiting' started by Ladams, Jan 26, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello,

I am currently on the last semester of my college course, Ive been given a conditional place at a university and I am going to apply for the undergraduate bursuary.

It states that you can apply if "You have a confirmed place for a recognised first degree at a UK university or college of higher education. Those with a conditional acceptance may apply but the award depends on confirmation of acceptance."

Now while I understand what this means, I am debating on whether to send my application with my cover letter attached with the conditional offer to university or wait until till I recieve my grades in aproximately August time and send with an official confirmation of a place.

Its not that I dont have faith in whether I will achieve the sufficent grades, I am just wondering whether if I send the application for consideration early, will the selection process start earlier, hence giving me less time for prepation. I am one to over prepare and would like to give myself plenty of time to give it my best shot, however Im not a fan of waiting around if I have the oppotunity to make my presence known right now.

Please can someone shed some light on this issue, more specifically if known, how long after sending my application off will any sort of selection/consideration process begin (If they give me a chance).

Thank you.

2. I'm sure someone will be along in a minute to correct me about how long it takes to get the application done from scratch but I know a load of my OTC muckers applied at the start of the academic year and are still waiting for interviews etc so sooner rather than later seems best - besides, you're going to have loads going on with all your prep for Uni so getting it out of the way would seem logical

You could always get yourself to the local AFCO and ask to speak to the ACA(O) about when to apply instead of just sending forms off (unless you've done that already). Chances are you will meet them at some point during your application anyway so you have nothing to lose by contacting them now and getting the benefit of them helping you through the application process.

Anyway, goodluck with your application and your last semester.

3. I would just get it done as soon as possible. It states that you can apply if you have a conditional offer which you do.
    I am in my second year of university and only just applying now and kicking myself for not choosing this path sooner and deciding that I wanted to apply for financial sponsorship because I have a feeling it is going to take ages now!
    Good luck :)

4. interviews? I never had any interviews?
    I filled in the form, sent it off, the Bursary board sat in September and that was that.

As to the OP: I'd just do it now.The bit you quoted is simply saying that if they offer you a bursary and you fail to get onto the course, then they won't pay it.

5. Same for me - but then I had a Scholarship so it was easier. They have applied from scratch and told me that they had to go and have interviews; were you a Scholar before or not?

6. no. Although I had already done MB by then, so maybe that counts
    >.>

7. Yeah, you have to have MB to get a bursary so that's obviously what they have the interview for - I was assuming that the OP hadn't done it yet in which case he really does need to be quick about it because that takes ages as I'm sure you know!

8. Thanks guys, Im going to send the form off in a couple of weeks. I feel I need to touch up on a few things before I get the ball rolling.