University / Access courses

Discussion in 'Jobs (Discussion)' started by UlsterFry, Jan 3, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm looking to get out, and hoping to get into an Access course (IT/Computing related). Only problem is, I haven't been able to find much out about them. So, I was hoping that someone here knows something about them, or knows someone who is a bit of an expert.

Any advice on the above would be greatly appreciated.

Ulster

2. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

This is my Alma Mater's current prospectus, http://www.bangor.ac.uk/prospectivestudents/uwb3/under/htm/pu79.htm

I'd recommend it highly. Bangor has a great reputation for elecronics/IT. It's a great place to live and study (if a little parochial at times). The opportunities for walking/climbing etc are brilliant as you'd expect in Snowdonia, and there's loads of pubs.

If it's too parochial, then Scouse and Manclands aren't too far away (the train service is quite good too).

3. I assumed you've tried contacting universities/colleges directly. If not check out their websites. Most have a page where you can order prospectuses of all sorts via post or failing that e-mail them. They're usually only too happy to send information out for prospective applicants.

4. Go to the UCAS website:http://www.ucas.co.uk, and do a course search.
    Am I right in thinking that mature students (no offence! :D ) still apply through the UCAS system? I believe so, but somebody might know different.

5. Potential mature students should contact their univ of choice directly to open discussions on the issue of entry. The pt of contact should be the admissions office or the admision tutor of the dept offering the subject you want to study. Look them up through the www of the univ- www.xxxx.ac.uk. UCAS will have to be used eventually.

The univ will want to know if you have 1. the intellectual ability(evidence of recent study),2 the motivation to complete,3. the ability to cope with juggling your time to meet different demands. 2 and 3 will not be an issue for ex regulars. 1 may require an access course run by your local FE collegeor an OU module but this is where you negotiate with the univ.

Money. there is not much and most of that is in the form of loans. The ave student debt on graduation is about £12K!! My suggestion is to get - if you do not already have it - an LGV licence so that you can work part time and avoid the debt. Agency work pays about twice what the student bar keep/cleaner/shelfstacker will get.

Good luck and enjoy

6. Try the Open University at www.open.ac.uk if you don't want to spend 3 years as a student.

I've just finished an undergraduate level module worth 30 points, it wasn't too hard to fit it in around work and a 60 point module would be manageable. The only down side is you need 360+ points for a degree, although you can get a diploma for less - still, 6 years part-time and earning as opposed to 3 years full-time and skint.

I liked it so much I'm doing a full-time postgrad, only 1 year thank *%$£!

7. Potential mature students should contact their univ of choice directly to open discussions on the issue of entry. The pt of contact should be the admissions office or the admision tutor of the dept offering the subject you want to study. Look them up through the www of the univ- www.xxxx.ac.uk

The univ will want to know if you have 1. the intellectual ability(evidence of recent study),2 the motivation to complete,3. the ability to cope with juggling your time to meet different demands. 2 and 3 will not be an issue for ex regulars. 1 may require an access course run by your local FE collegeor an OU module but this is where you negotiate with the univ.

Money. there is not much and most of that is in the form of loans. The ave student debt on graduation is about £12K!! My suggestion is to get -if you do not already have it-an LGV licence so that you can work part time and avoid the debt. Agency work pays about twice what the student bar keep/cleaner/shelfstacker will get.

Good luck and enjooy

8. That should be 360 points for a degree with honours and 300 points for a degree without honours ie 5 years at the rate of 60 points a year. I don't have enough fingers to count properly... :oops:

9. From the Open University website: