Universities lowering grade requirements for non-EU students

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Pyianno, Jun 26, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Can't say I'm surprised, the USA has been doing it for years for minorities - though they don't usually have to pay - including our President. Generally though Asian students who come over to attend university are bloody good.
  2. My experience of undergraduate study was that for 90% of the academic year, virtually all of the students in the library were foreign students. British students are only interested in being studious around examination periods.
  3. Well they do pay more tuition fees, so fair one.
  4. I think the thing the Torygraph is objecting to is that English students do not enjoy the same privilege.
  5. Well they do pay less tuition fees, simples.

edited to add: we are still living in a free market capitalist economy last time I checked.
  6. Do you not think there are any ethical implications that those with money are able to purchase their way out of academic requirements in order to access the best Universities? Whereas those without must win a place by honest competition?
  7. Well if you want to turn Oxford University into a cross between California and Kowloon in order to trouser dolla, I suppose that's ok.
  8. No, but the universities are after cash, so will prefer foreign students who pay more. And on occasion they probably will lower the standards for foreigners to come in. Anyway, qualifications/syllabus' in the UK are complicated enough, imagine trying to translate that into their chinese/american/brazilian equivalents?
  9. The more reputable ones manage it perfectly well. I note Universities are up in arms now because of the simple requirement imposed by government that a prospective student can actually speak the language when they turn up on British soil.
  10. Universities which have selected and maintained the appropriate aim tend not to have a problem because they're choosing their candidates on the basis of how likely they are to succeed as a matter of course anyway.

The problem has always been twofold: 'universities' that can't support themselves and their extravagant ambitions on ordinary income and who scramble for international student fees as a handy money-tap to make the nasty reality go away; and the difficulty in accruing a large enough body of knowledge on education systems around the globe to be able to assess accurately a student's chances of succeeding.

This last one's a full time job - mine!

If it's been sent from my HTC Sensation using Tapatalk then I'm probably pissed.
  11. My missus used to work in this at a plate glass university. She said fraudulent language qualifications for international students were rife but the University looked the other way because they were desperate for the income. Virtually all drop outs were international students who couldn't speak the language.
  12. There's another, far tastier scandal brewing with the 'partnerships' between universities and these companies like INTO that provide education for foreign students with sub-acceptance standards. The quals they offer are supposedly transferrable but there is huge pressure for them to sign up to the 'partner' institution regardless of what is good for the students. I very strongly suspect that they have a financial incentive but have never been able to get confirmation.

Mercenary, visionless, amoral little Philistines have turned UK universities into money-grasping businesses that have little to do with education any more.
  13. It always beggared belief that institutions were never able to get this one right. Of all the credentials that need to be assessed, language ability is the easiest to verify and authenticate.

Of course, with an entire growth industry having sprung up around bollocks ELT provision, there were substantial financial incentives to partnering up with language schools on a "if we say they're good enough, you'll believe us" basis.

One thing that was got right under the new regime was a restriction on the qualifications that could be accepted as proof of English proficiency, although I'd love to know why Hong Kong and Singapore A Levels weren't included. They speak better English than most British applicants!

If it's been sent from my HTC Sensation using Tapatalk then I'm probably pissed.
  14. Or monkeying with the classifications to move everyone a notch up. And allowing students to advance to the next year despite having failed three modules out of four.