Universal free school meals

mum get off faceache and make something

A while ago in a supermarket, a saw a kid pick up some celeriac, his Mother said he should put it back. She didn't want it as it "looked funny"

The only problem is some of what he said is bollocks. This bit for example - "Meanwhile, schools removed food tech (or domestic science) from the syllabus, given that girls should no longer be trained to cook for their husbands and children. Somehow the notion of extending the subject to boys did not occur." Except food tech was still being taught when I was in secondary school and is still taught today for boys and girls.

If he's wrong about that what else is he wrong about in that article? A shame because he made a lot of very good points but if you're going to include something that is demonstrably false it undermines everything else.

The only problem is some of what he said is bollocks. This bit for example - "Meanwhile, schools removed food tech (or domestic science) from the syllabus, given that girls should no longer be trained to cook for their husbands and children. Somehow the notion of extending the subject to boys did not occur." Except food tech was still being taught when I was in secondary school and is still taught today for boys and girls.

If he's wrong about that what else is he wrong about in that article? A shame because he made a lot of very good points but if you're going to include something that is demonstrably false it undermines everything else.

He's wrong about women taking up employment resulting in not prepping decent food.
Lots of duel income familiar still provide for their kids. Its just another excuse except this one doesnt directly blame the government.

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
My idea is relatively simple - cuts payments and aids the economy all in one go.
All schools are provided with food canteens meaning staff to employ for cooking, building staff to ensure they are built to the same standard and maintenance staff. Schools provide bkfst, lunch/dinner, tea/supper ensuring children get a decent/sensible diet. This will assist those mums who have to go out to work and have little time for other than "fast food". The whole lot could easily be paid for by cutting out child benefit/credit payments of any sort.
In fact if dormitories were included parents would not have to bother with their children at all once they started school.

My idea is relatively simple - cuts payments and aids the economy all in one go.
All schools are provided with food canteens meaning staff to employ for cooking, building staff to ensure they are built to the same standard and maintenance staff. Schools provide bkfst, lunch/dinner, tea/supper ensuring children get a decent/sensible diet. This will assist those mums who have to go out to work and have little time for other than "fast food". The whole lot could easily be paid for by cutting out child benefit/credit payments of any sort.
In fact if dormitories were included parents would not have to bother with their children at all once they started school.
Just save time and put the maternity wards inside the prisons.

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer

syrup

LE

I would argue it's not working mums that are the issue.
It's mums on benefits who get free meals and are saying that with the schools closed they can't afford to feed their kids
Both my parents have worked all my life (I'm 51) and I've never starved because of it.
We always had school meals when in school and out of it we either were at grans or other family members or they bunged the neighbours a couple of quid to keep an eye on us.
Once we were older and could look after ourselves we did we were playing in the street anyway so we came and went in the house.

Thing was if I was hungry I could get a jam / corned beef / ham sandwich or a bag of crisps
I didn't consider myself to be in poverty or deprived because we weren't getting a Big Mac and Chips delivered everyday by Deliveroo.

The thing missing with a load of these women (apart form a bloke paying his way) is pride.
If you'd had told my mother it was the Governments responsibility to feed us she'd have knocked you into next week.
The whole reason she went out to work in the first place was to try and bring our standard of living up

Or camps perhaps.

Rather foreign, that.

Perhaps a reliable Workhouse.

Ree-Mogg et al should be done with that.
iu

We could start singing a nice hymn again.

The rich man in his castle,
The poor man at his gate,
God made them, high and lowly,
And ordered their estate.

Hotdogs and burgers cooked on Thursday, left overnight in Janny’s office and reheated on Friday to allow caterers to get home early.

Breakfast club. Parents eat the bacon or sausages and give their sprog a bag of crisps.

Free fruit. Boxes left outside each classroom. Barely touched. Wily parents send kids back in with empty rucksack after school has tipped out.
There was a phase of fruit being supplied for GCSE exams. At the end of the day, there would be untouched boxes of apples and bananas, next day, more arrived. Much of it went into my dehydrator...

The thing missing with a load of these women (apart form a bloke paying his way) is pride.
If you'd had told my mother it was the Governments responsibility to feed us she'd have knocked you into next week.
The whole reason she went out to work in the first place was to try and bring our standard of living up
Changed times mate. These people couldn't spell pride. They consider it an entitlement to suckle on the government (taxpayers) teat for life.

I would argue it's not working mums that are the issue.
It's mums on benefits who get free meals and are saying that with the schools closed they can't afford to feed their kids
Both my parents have worked all my life (I'm 51) and I've never starved because of it.
We always had school meals when in school and out of it we either were at grans or other family members or they bunged the neighbours a couple of quid to keep an eye on us.
Once we were older and could look after ourselves we did we were playing in the street anyway so we came and went in the house.

Thing was if I was hungry I could get a jam / corned beef / ham sandwich or a bag of crisps
I didn't consider myself to be in poverty or deprived because we weren't getting a Big Mac and Chips delivered everyday by Deliveroo.

/aside
10 000 steps in a day equates to the calories in half a Big Mac.
1 flight of stairs = 1 x m&m.
But somehow, kids are ‘starving’...
aside/

syrup

LE
/aside
10 000 steps in a day equates to the calories in half a Big Mac.
1 flight of stairs = 1 x m&m.
But somehow, kids are ‘starving’...
aside/

Yet the UK has one of the highest child obesity rates in Western Europe.
Must be all the Tory voters giving their kids extra helpings.

syrup

LE
There was a phase of fruit being supplied for GCSE exams. At the end of the day, there would be untouched boxes of apples and bananas, next day, more arrived. Much of it went into my dehydrator...

That was the complaint up here schools had made packed lunches couldn't shift them posted earlier in the thread about a chippie outside York that stated they were serving 30 free lunches for kids per day in the holidays.
The chippie is 10 miles outside York you need a car to get there

That's poverty for you when you have to drive to claim your free meals

Indeed. ‘Food Technology (now Food Science) has always been a popular option at GCSE (in my experience) with a surprisingly large uptake among boys. Every student in KS3 will complete modules in Food tech, Textiles and Resistant Materials, rarely do kids associate gender with the subjects.

Rather foreign, that.

Perhaps a reliable Workhouse.

Ree-Mogg et al should be done with that.
iu

We could start singing a nice hymn again.

The Thomas Paine is strong in you.

However, let's look at your photo again:

1615112536570.png

The inmates of the day, probably for the first time in their lives, benefited from being housed in a secure and relatively safe environment, They would have received simple medical care, clothing and some from of education and instruction.

The gardening plots to the fore would have provided fresh fruit and vegetables, grown and tended by their own hands.

Yes, the majority of work was tedious and repetitive (splitting hemp rope, etc) - and yet records will show that there were more applications to go 'on the parish' than spaces available.

The workhouse was of it's time but it served a need and a gave a small measure of relief to many.

The workhouse was of it's time but it served a need and a gave a small measure of relief to many.

Oh I know, I know of a family member of mine who resorted to one.

But it does mark somewhat of a societal failure we are unable to produce people who need that sort of assistance again.

Fotunately, we can "simply" differentiate between "deserving" and "undeserving" poor these days; and it is down to individual rather than societal failures.

I mean, it would be so much more tricky to examine structural causes.

We're all just seperated from this fate by the thinnest of veils, I submit.

Latest Threads