Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Universal free school meals

Mbongwe

Clanker
More like the fear of negative publicity driving by Rashford and others on social media has forced HMG to fork out taxpayers money once again to the undeserving "poor", time for HMG to grow a spine and point out that's what the benefits the "claimants" receive is for.
Exactly, pointing out unpalatable facts e.g. a) not all people on benefits make the same choices; b) what to do about children who's parents waste their benefit money?; c) how does Government and society address benefits in their entirety?

What Rashford has done is pose questions; to what extent his "solution" is right or to what extent it's wrong is another matter; what's most important is that he's raised an issue which needs addressing.

Edited once for typo.

Last edited:
In other news, the predictable outrage bus has started up, because the "temporary" £20 per week increase in Universal Credit is due to be coming to an end.

The non-extension of the temporary measure is, of course, a savage slashing of UC...
My wages also went up, because I was working overtime with people spitting and coughing at me

Daz

LE
Exactly, pointing out unpalatable facts e.g. a) not all people on benefits make the same choices; b) what to do about children who's parents waste their benefit money?; c) how does Government and society address benefits in their entirety?

What Rashford has done is pose questions; to what extent his "solution" is right or to what extent it's wrong is another matter; what's most important is that he's raised an issue which needs addressing.

Edited once for typo.
He's raising a non-issue - you get your benefits, don't like the amount, get a bloody job then, its the Government fear of online activists that are driving this and other decisions unfortunately

Mbongwe

Clanker
He's raising a non-issue - you get your benefits, don't like the amount, get a bloody job then, its the Government fear of online activists that are driving this and other decisions unfortunatelMu

He's raising a non-issue - you get your benefits, don't like the amount, get a bloody job then, its the Government fear of online activists that are driving this and other decisions unfortunately
The original issue he raised (correct me if I'm wrong) was that children who otherwise would get a free lunch at school weren't getting said lunch because the schools were closed due to COVID-19 restrictions; not per se, "children should always get free meals".

These totally different points have become conflated with the issue of what chavs spend their benefit money on.

No-one's, fella. Who / or what rattled your cage, you crab? If you're that interested in who I am, please refer to the Introduce Yourself page (or just ask your missus who I am, and tell her she needs more practice...)
1610907551841.png

Very suspicious of new joiners who jump into forums feet first, milling away ;-)

Daz

LE
The original issue he raised (correct me if I'm wrong) was that children who otherwise would get a free lunch at school weren't getting said lunch because the schools were closed due to COVID-19 restrictions; not per se, "children should always get free meals".

These totally different points have become conflated with the issue of what chavs spend their benefit money on.
He's just the latest in a long line of leftwing promoted mouthpieces banging on about the subject of "free" school meals, his "campaign" is a variation on the theme - If you go back to 2008 for instance, you had the Children’s Food Campaign, in part sponsored by the "Child Poverty Action Group" amongst other leftwing groups - Rashford's "campaign" is just a variation on an ongoing theme, one that's run a lot longer than a lot of people realise, the headline name might change, but the main players remain then same

Daz

LE
He's just the latest in a long line of leftwing promoted mouthpieces banging on about the subject of "free" school meals, his "campaign" is a variation on the theme - If you go back to 2008 for instance, you had the Children’s Food Campaign, in part sponsored by the "Child Poverty Action Group" amongst other leftwing groups - Rashford's "campaign" is just a variation on an ongoing theme, one that's run a lot longer than a lot of people realise, the headline name might change, but the main players remain then same
You can also add in the campaign for free school dinners outside term time, the same players, charities & leftwing groups were also behind pushing that agenda on social media.

Cyberhacker

Old-Salt
Initially, it was about school holidays... then it became about covd-closures

Initially, it was about school holidays... then it became about covd-closures
They had a benefit increase for a reason, not more Spice

Cite your sources, this sounds juicy.

An HO colleagues's IT contractor son, who thought that he was meant to meant to issue several thousand ex-government laptops (ThinkPads and NoteBooks mainly) to schools in the South West. He said that less than a thousand have gone out the door and that local government staff in education and safeguarding roles have been making business cases for themselves to be re-equipped first, which senior management have agreed to.

Teeblerone

War Hero
As these food parcels are supposed to be 10 lunches, I would spend a tenner on 10 x £1 microwave lunches (lasagne/spag bol/curry/chilli/stew/bangers n mash) or whatever. The remaining fiver goes on fresh fruit, yoghurt pots or whatever.
Indeed. Not the best nutrition, but decent food. Frozen veg as well, bead & butter, you could split most of those £1 frozen meals.

I thought this might be of interest...

I clicked on the link 'What does a magic breakfast look like?' and at no point does it state provision of more than 1 sausage.

Therefore this admirable initiative has utterly failed at the first hurdle and is not magic at all.

Now excuse me while I throw another child onto the fire in my castle to heat up my marble lined study.

Kids and parents (and footballers) of today FFS.

Latest Threads